Kindle worlds: the first hour
A selection of responses ...
- — Jenni Hill (@Jenni_Hill)Wed, May 22 2013 06:37:37Amazon does fanfiction with #Amazonworlds? http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1823219&highlight= …hoenix.zhtml?… This isn't fanfiction, it's tie-in fiction.
- — Gloria Mundi (@viva_gloria)Wed, May 22 2013 06:43:17"Kindle Worlds, a place for you to publish fan fiction inspired by popular [stuff]" Amazon US only. For now. Eeep! http://amzn.to/ZdbQJM
- — Gloria Mundi (@viva_gloria)Wed, May 22 2013 06:46:47#kindleworlds Content Guidelines "We don't accept pornography or offensive depictions of graphic sexual acts." Or crossovers.
- — Gloria Mundi (@viva_gloria)Wed, May 22 2013 06:48:03#kindleworlds guidelines: also not accepting 'excessive use of foul language' or 'poor customer experience'. Wot, no badfic?!
- — Moira Rogers (Bree) (@moirarogersbree)Wed, May 22 2013 06:43:54
- — Jenni Hill (@Jenni_Hill)Wed, May 22 2013 06:46:22@betterthemask I think it's rather telling they've picked franchises with younger, more impressionable readers. Older fans would resist.
- — meg jayanth (@betterthemask)Wed, May 22 2013 06:35:58The licensors can use "your new elements & incorporate them into other works without further compensation to you" Er. Wait. What?
- — Aja Romano (@ajaromano)Wed, May 22 2013 06:59:51My corner of the Internet has just exploded over amazon's offering to pay fans to write franchise tie-ins. Which they're calling fanfiction.
- — Selma Wolfe (@WolfeSelma)Wed, May 22 2013 06:55:36My guess is a lot of companies will want to sell rights to the older properties that they're not actively making much off now. #KindleWorlds
- — Tessa Gratton (@tessagratton)Wed, May 22 2013 07:00:56
- — Moira Rogers (Bree) (@moirarogersbree)Wed, May 22 2013 07:01:57No bad formatting, crossovers OR sexytimez? Downgrade to Threat Level "Have They Met Fanfic?!" http://amzn.to/12VGsN3
- — Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig)Wed, May 22 2013 07:07:58ALL YOUR FANFICTION BELONG TO US: What the fuck is Kindle Worlds? A quick post at #terribleminds: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/05/22/all-your-fanfiction-belong-to-us-what-the-fuck-is-kindle-worlds/ …le/2013/05…
- — Kameron Hurley (@KameronHurley)Wed, May 22 2013 07:09:33To be dead honest, I would not at all mind curating fan fic based on my fiction, and taking a cut. FREE MONEY, PEOPLE.
- — Scarlett Parrish (@scarlettparrish)Wed, May 22 2013 07:12:02Seriously, folks. I find it very hard to get upset about Amazon helping people make money off of fanfic when #50ShadesofGrey exists.
- — 9Worlds_fanfic (@9WorldsFanfic)Wed, May 22 2013 07:17:29
- — Thomas Galvin (@thomascgalvin)Wed, May 22 2013 07:06:37From an "I have characters people might want to write about" point of view, this is fascinating. #KindleWorlds
- — thingswithwings (@twwings)Wed, May 22 2013 07:22:37so what you're saying is, "fandom, please rear us writers who can write excellent well-constructed gen so we can put them behind a paywall"
- — sabrina (@sabrinaslibrary)Wed, May 22 2013 07:30:30The original author receives 35% of net for fanfic; fanficcer 20% http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/22/amazon-debuts-kindle-worlds-where-your-gossip-girl-fan-fiction-can-earn-you-cash/ …/2kindleworldsleamwritingmwplottymouthstymouths
- — Baker Street Babes (@BakerStBabes)Wed, May 22 2013 07:33:49Seriously, the idea @amazon thinks it can get people to pay to read (highly regulated) fanfiction, which had always been free, is asinine.
- — charlotte geater (@tambourine)Wed, May 22 2013 07:30:08amazon fails to understand fanworks & fandom; doesn't understand anything that isn't traditionally monetized
- — Gloria Mundi (@viva_gloria)Wed, May 22 2013 07:33:49"probably not an author/fangirl alive who hasn't fantasized about being able to write about her favorite show." fantasized? or just done it?
- — Rebecca A. Weston (@callmebecks)Wed, May 22 2013 07:35:07For the record, I don't think Amazon is Teh Evil for #KindleWorlds. I just think it has the potential to be wildly problematic.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.