Digital Curation - use in education
Digital curation is the selection, preservation, maintenance, collection and archiving of digital assets such as digital images, web links and movie files. Often educators are curating resources but aren't aware due to confusion on what is digital curation.
- This information has been curated from thoughts shared on Twitter by educators on "Do you curate? What tools do you use? Why you curate? Why you don't curate? Are you confused by what is digital curation?"
This storify is en example of digital curation. I use Storify like this to collect ideas together in one location that I can refer back to later, share with my networks or gather ideas that I eventually use to write blog posts. Blogs posts are another way of curating information.
So what is digital curation?
- Check out this great Google Presentation on Curation by John Pearce
- And this Google Presentation on Student curation by John Pearce
- — Nilofar Ansher (@culture_curate)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:32:53@suewaters Digital curation provides a ready platform and template to source, sift and disseminate curated objects (2)
- — Nilofar Ansher (@culture_curate)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:33:25
- — Nilofar Ansher (@culture_curate)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:34:26@suewaters Just like institutional curation, where material is already present, but has 2b analyzed, catalogued, DigiCuration no diff (4)
- — Nilofar Ansher (@culture_curate)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:35:13@suewaters Nature of digital curation differs in that it's mass curated, not the domain of institutions or experts. Its micro and nano (5)
What tools do we like to use to curate?
- — Frances Manning (@fmanning)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:03:56@suewaters I use 'Scoopit' to curate Learning & Leadership articles;-quicker than blogging, better organised than bookmarking & I can share!
- — Frances Manning (@fmanning)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:16:35
- — Frances Manning (@fmanning)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:15:04@suewaters I select for my topics & then am interested in what others say & who also curates the post. A lot of sharing also goes on
- — Frances Manning (@fmanning)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:28:51@suewaters I've found it pretty straight forward to use & have button in bookmark toolbar - virtually two clicks to Scoop a page/post
- — Frances Manning (@fmanning)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:36:46@suewaters I like the visual format of Scoop.it. Have used Pinterest but not as much. Haven't used Flipboard- what are it's +'s?
- — Karen Stadler (@ICT_Integrator)Wed, Oct 09 2013 03:16:38
- — Leo Havemann (@leohavemann)Wed, Oct 09 2013 04:25:34
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.