Paralympic Star Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder
South African Olympian Pistorius charged with the murder of his girlfriend in Pretoria
- Oscar Pistorius, an inspiration to many, has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend on Thursday. The incident took place in his home in Petroria, South Africa. Reevana Steenkamp, a model, was shot four times inside the home early Thursday morning, the Associated Press reports.
- The victim, Reeva Steenkamp, was a successful model, and was set to star in a South African reality show, Tropika Island of Treasure. Steenkamp was also the first face of AVON South Africa. She was also an outspoken voice on violence against females in Africa. She has worked with Toyota, FHM, and Zui as a model. It is believed that she and Pistorius had only been dating for a few months before this incident.
- Pistorius, who is a double bellow-the-knee amputee, wowed the world at the 2012 Olympics in London this past summer. He was the first amputee runner to compete in the Olympic games. Pistorius won three Paralympic medals this past September including two gold. He is seen as a national hero in South Africa and was chosen to carry the country's flag at the Olympic and Paralympic games this past summer.
- Pistorius is no stranger to guns. He often tweeted about his exploits at the gun range. In 2012, Pistorius was interviewed by the New York Times and suggested to the journalist that they visit a gun range, where Pistorius told the writer "If you practiced, I think you could be pretty deadly."
- Pistorius' court hearing was originally scheduled for Thursday afternoon but has been postponed until Friday.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.