#SecKerry Holds First #YouthConnect in Berlin, Germany
On February 26, 2013, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met with the next generation of German innovators and leaders in Berlin, Germany for his first-ever "Youth Connect" event. His visit to Berlin was also an opportunity for the Secretary to reconnect with the city in which he lived as a child.
- The "Youth Connect" was hosted by Facebook and U.S. Embassy Berlin at Basecamp, a popular coffee shop and high-tech store in Germany. The conversation was moderated by journalist Cherno Jobatey.
- The event started off with a flurry of social media activity upon the Secretary's arrival, as he greeted the crowd in German and connected with them on the topic of national soccer.
- Secretary Kerry also spoke about people-to-people exchanges, and addressed the importance of education in promoting tolerance and broadening one's perspectives on the world.
- The event was attended by more than 100 young people, many of whom shared their reactions and photos on social media and spotlighted issues of importance to them -- from climate change to counter-terrorism.
- Secretary Kerry will hold Youth Connect events again; he plans to participate in similar events with other youth audiences worldwide. You can read Secretary Kerry's remarks at the Youth Connect event on state.gov, and follow @StateDept for more information on his trip to Europe and the Middle East from February 24 through March 6, 2013.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.