Journalists criticize Caleb Hannan and Grantland.
There were many, many other journalists who had retweeted other people's criticisms or links to critical blog posts about the piece. This is just a sampling of those who wrote about it directly.
- Evan Hill, staff writer @ Al-Jazeera America
- — Evan Hill (@evanchill)Sat, Jan 18 2014 13:24:28Seems the @Grantland33 editorial train sailed past a crucial stop for pause and reflection here http://gawker.com/twitter-explodes-after-trans-subject-of-golf-article-ki-1504164978 …
- Kyla Gardner, reporter/producer DNAInfo Chicago
- — Kyla Gardner (@gardnerkyla)Sat, Jan 18 2014 16:38:23It's common journalism practice to give vulnerable sources pseudonyms, but if we leave out that someone is trans, the TRUTH/ART is at stake?
- Jay Rosen, journalism prof @ NYU
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Jan 18 2014 14:07:00Alerted by people on Twitter, I caught up on the furor over this article by @calebhannan that ran on Grantland: http://grantland.com/features/a-mysterious-physicist-golf-club-dr-v/ … 1/2
- — Jay Rosen (@jayrosen_nyu)Sat, Jan 18 2014 14:07:222/2 I agree with those who think something went deeply awry in the reporting and writing. My views are similar to: http://goo.gl/PiMoRG
- Steve Paul, editorial columnist @ Kansas City Star
- Clare O'Connor, staff writer @ Forbes
- — Clare O'Connor (@Clare_OC)Sat, Jan 18 2014 14:39:56STILL nothing from @Grantland33 on this unparalleled f*ck-up?! #JusticeForDrV http://jezebel.com/trans-woman-commits-suicide-amid-fear-of-outing-by-spor-1503902916 …
- Matt Pearce, national reporter @ the LA Times
- — Matt Pearce (@mattdpearce)Sat, Jan 18 2014 10:24:32They are going to teach this Grantland story in journalism school. I don't mean that as a compliment. http://grantland.com/features/a-mysterious-physicist-golf-club-dr-v/ …
- Laura J. Nelson, transportation reporter @ the LA Times
- — Laura J. Nelson (@laura_nelson)Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:02:43I've been stewing about this Grantland story for 24 hours and am finally hitting peak rage. Incredibly misguided, irresponsible journalism.
- Justin Ling, freelance
- — Justin Ling (@Justin_Ling)Sat, Jan 18 2014 09:55:48Finally read this Grantland story about Dr. V's magical putter. It's completely unnerving, and entirely disgusting. http://grantland.com/features/a-mysterious-physicist-golf-club-dr-v/ …
- Gregg Doyel, CBS sportswriter
- — Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelCBS)Sat, Jan 18 2014 13:03:54See my last tweet and follow links, if you have some time. The Grantland writer's mentions are brutal. Deservedly https://twitter.com/search?q=%40calebhannan&src=typd&f=realtime …
- James Ball, special projects editor @ the Guardian US
- — James Ball (@jamesrbuk)Sat, Jan 18 2014 16:25:43The most chilling phrase "Before I told him about her past"- the reporter went around outing a woman as trans to her associates. Appalling.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.