SXSW'12 - 31312 - Why Your 5-Year-Old Knows More About Digital Than Most CMOs
Sean Miller from R/GA and John Militello from Google explain what they've learned from their kids and why they know more than many high level executives
- Google+ took 88 days to get to 50 million users
- Kids 2-5 gain computer skills before many other life skills. 63% of kids can use a computer while only 11% can tie their shoes
- 11-years-old child has adult technology skills
- 70% of households with tablets let the kids play with them
- Kids are not scared of complex things. These things are not new for them so they have no fear of change
- "The consumer's not a moron. She's your wife daughter grand daughter" - David Ogilvy
- The biggest problem for executives is that the marketplace is outpacing marketing
1. Kids are... COLLABORATIVE
- If you give them challenges, they can solve it together.
- Ex: Sugata Mitra's Hole in the wall
- Love the ones you're with.
RGA Organizes Themselves to
Planning / Connections / Analytics / Interaction Design / Copywriting / Visual Design / Technology
2. Kids are.. FEARLESS
- Be curious and explore things you're unfamiliar with other
- Help foster curiosity in your workplaces
3. Kids are... TINKERERS
- Stop thinking, start doing
- Ex: Marshmallow challenge
- ExX: RGA does London MAKE DAY. Day 1 - make anything you want. Doesn't have to be digital. Everyone makes a wiki to plan and Day 2 is sharing and awards.
4. Kids are.. UNFILTERED
- Ask a kid, if you want honestly about if a product, service, message makes sense they will give you honest feedback
CONTENT FROM #KIDCMO
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.