Midway Airport shuts down
The power went out on the runway on the evening of June 28, canceling and diverting flights and stranding passengers in hot airplanes or in terminals for hours. Here's how it all played out on social media along with a look at the aftermath.
- — Scott Kleinberg (@scottkleinberg)Thu, Jun 28 2012 20:07:49For those asking/traveling/waiting for loved one, Midway Airport is closed. Power out. Flights being diverted. Big mess.
- — C Olson (@CourtlandOlson)Thu, Jun 28 2012 19:09:32Power problems at Midway…airport is shut down. Welp, that pretty much puts the proverbial icing on the cake for today’s travel.
- — Rubber Duck (@the_rubberduck)Thu, Jun 28 2012 19:32:18Tweeting this from 30,000 ft above MDW“@gateNo1: Due to AIRPORT LIGHTING, the Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) was closed as of Jun 28 at 09:10”
- I'm here at O'hare, but supposed to be at Midway. Plane left Atlanta an hour late and then when we got near Midway, the airport lost power. We circled for another 45 minutes and then the pilot said he decided to go to O'hare because he was running out of gas. Good idea genius. Now to get my car from Midway. Ugh!!!!!!
- — Scott Kleinberg (@scottkleinberg)Thu, Jun 28 2012 20:09:10@fire4hairlady You're welcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any more info right now, but I'll pass along if I do.
- — UB Rodriguez @ WGCI (@UBRodriguez)Thu, Jun 28 2012 19:39:57As of 920p, runway lights at Midway Airport are out. Inbound flights are being diverted to other cities, says SW employee. I'm delayed.
- — Scott Kleinberg (@scottkleinberg)Thu, Jun 28 2012 20:17:23According to tweets and @WGNNews, FAA says Midway closed. Diverted flights to Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.