SABR Analytics Conference
Couldn't make it to Arizona for the inaugural SABR Analytics Conference? Check out SABR.org/analytics for full coverage of the event that brought together more of the top minds of the baseball analytic community than ever before.
- Here's a sampling of tweets from the SABR Analytics Conference:
Cubs owner Tom Ricketts held an exclusive Q&A with SABR president Vince Gennaro on Friday morning.
- Hillary Superak, a member of Pat Kilgo's research team at Emory University (which won the award for best poster presentation at last year's SABR 41 convention), led a spirited presentation on “Bridging the Gap Between Sabermetrics and Formal Statistical Inference: Toward a Unified Approach to Baseball Research”.
- The "Retrospective Look at Baseball Analysis" panel included Dick Cramer, co-founder of SABR's Statistical Analysis Research Committee in 1974; Gary Gillette, on SABR's Board of Directors; and John Thorn, Major League Baseball's Official Historian. Moderator: Sean Forman, Baseball-Reference.com.
- Our "Fantasy Baseball Panel", on what we can all learn from Fantasy Baseball and the way it has impacted MLB teams, included: Derek Carty, Baseball Prospectus; Craig Glaser, Bloomberg Sports; and Eno Sarris, FanGraphs. Moderator: Cory Schwartz, MLB.com.
- We posted audio of selected panels immediately after they happened at SABR.org/analytics. Here's a link to our General Managers Panel with Chris Antonetti (Indians), Doug Melvin (Brewers) and Jerry Dipoto (Angels). Moderator: Ken Rosenthal, MLB Network/FoxSports.com.
- For the Clubhouse Confidential panel, we included speakers who appear regularly on MLB Network's signature sabermetrics program, "Clubhouse Confidential" (airing at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. daily). Speakers included: Dave Cameron, FanGraphs; Jay Jaffe, Baseball Prospectus; Vince Gennaro, SABR President; and Rob Neyer, Baseball Nation.
- MLB Productions, ESPN and Bloomberg TV each had film crews all weekend during the conference. Here's a clip on MLB.com talking with some of the front office executives who attended:
- This photo is from the John Dewan/Bed Jedlovec presentation on defensive shifts. You can read more about the research presentations at sabr.org/analytics/topics.
- Our Scouting and Analytics panel featured Joe Bohringer, Chicago Cubs; A.J. Hinch, San Diego Padres; and Corrine Vitolo, SmartKage. Moderator: Dan Migala, PCG.
- Ken Rosenthal returned Saturday morning for a Q&A with Cleveland Indians president Mark Shapiro. You can listen to their full interview here: http://sabr.org/latest/sabranalytics-qa-mark-shapiro ….
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.