Journalists Tweet Their PR Pet Peeves
There are the PR lessons you're taught in school, the advice you're given from industry mentors and then there's the straight from the horse's mouth tips you'd pay money for.
- — Micheline Maynard (@MickiMaynard)Wed, May 02 2012 07:36:17@muckrack pet pitch peeve: "since you just wrote about ______, thought you'd be interested in _____." No, I just wrote about it.
- — David Landsel (@davidlandsel)Wed, May 02 2012 07:54:54.@muckrack pitch peeve: leading w/ "I just read your AMAZING story about X, and.." Flattery has gotten better PRs than you nowhere, dear.
- — Tom Fitzgerald (@tomfitzDC)Wed, May 02 2012 08:23:03@muckrack when the pitch starts "if it's a slow news day..." ie: because you wouldn't cover this thing on a good news day :-)
- — Jack Schofield (@jackschofield)Wed, May 02 2012 08:54:07
- — Jen Wieczner (@jenwieczner)Wed, May 02 2012 08:50:24
- — Debra Borchardt (@WallandBroad)Wed, May 02 2012 07:43:23@muckrack 1) double pitching people in the same office 2) random connections - a hooker that has written a book is not a "business" story
- — Nicholas Holmes (@relaxedtravel)Wed, May 02 2012 08:02:46(Unsolicited) PR email of the day: 'Please let me know you agree to the below embargo so I can send you a press release.' (@muckrack)
- — Thomas Mills (@thomasemills)Wed, May 02 2012 07:51:39@muckrack It is really easy to be nice, but it is also much easier to be rude. Don't be rude. This goes for both sides and happens often.
Oh and then the tides turned and PR pros were asked to share their journalist pet peeves.
- — Renae Godish (@renaenoelle)Wed, May 02 2012 08:42:40@muckrack Journos that never respond. A simple "not the right fit, send it to this colleague" helps me better target my pitch next time.
- — LindaVandeVrede (@LindaVandeVrede)Wed, May 02 2012 07:57:46@muckrack What used to annoy me was reporters assigned to cover high-tech who knew nothing about the topic
- — Chris Owen (@wonky_donky)Wed, May 02 2012 07:59:18@muckrack main bugbear is rudeness (although i'd be tetchy if i was bombarded all day too i guess). we're human too, we're not punchbags
- — Susann Jerry (@Susannjerry)Wed, May 02 2012 08:03:38
And yet another turn of events; Journalists decided to balance it out and offer some praise for PR done well.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 5 already did!
- SEOdressInteresting story.2013-08-22T11:14:29.346Z