Jon Stewart & Maziar Bahari on #FreeIranPress
The Committee to Protect Journalists, PEN American Center, and International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran hosted a screening of "Forced Confessions" and a panel with Jon Stewart, Maziar Bahari, and Joel Simon on Wednesday May 8th.
- The line to enter the theater stretched for a block and the excitement in the theater was palpable.
- Suzanne Nossel, Executive Director of PEN American Center, opened the event and introduced Maziar Bahari, who was arrested by the regime shortly after appearing on the Daily Show
- We then screened Maziar Bahari's moving documentary "Forced Confessions." Here are some key quotes from the film.
- Journalist Omid Memarian, featured in the film, was also in attendance.
- After the film, CPJ's Middle East and North Africa Coordinator introduced our latest report and video on the 40 journalists imprisoned in Iran as of April 15.
- Hadi Ghaemi, the Executive Director of the International Campaign on Human Rights in Iran, then introduced our panel with Jon Stewart, Maziar Bahari, and CPJ's Executive Director Joel Simon. Here are some highlights.
- First, on why Jon Stewart got involved with Maziar Bahari and press freedom in Iran.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.