PostGIS: How can it be improved?
PostGIS is notoriously hard to install and use. What specific changes can be made to create a friendlier interface for the powerful tool? More permissive on topology when topology enforcement hasn't enabled for your dataset? Easier data import and export, reload? Easier to install in the 1st place?
- — Shaun Walbridge (@scw)Sat, Aug 04 2012 16:43:56
- — David Bitner (@bitnerd)Sat, Aug 04 2012 08:25:57@kelsosCorner My real world GIS need is to make the same analyses available on the web, in printed reports, and in automated processing.
- — Thomas gratier (@ThomasG77)Sat, Aug 04 2012 02:40:58
- — Richard Fairhurst (@richardf)Sat, Aug 04 2012 01:30:20
- — Nathan Woodrow (@madmanwoo)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:43:47@kelsosCorner sure, saying ignore errors might but good, might not be. Can you share the dataset you are having issues importing.
- — Nathan Woodrow (@madmanwoo)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:36:00@kelsosCorner you know that PostGIS 2.0 has better Topo support right? http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/Topology.html …ctions.net/docs/Topology.html
- — Nathan Woodrow (@madmanwoo)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:35:33@kelsosCorner that is strange. I have never had a issue with importing all sorts of crap into PostGIS, I just clean it after.
- — Nathaniel V. KELSO (@kelsosCorner)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:34:13@madmanwoo I have data that OGR will happily read and write, as well as QGIS, ArcMap, etc. But PostGIS refuses to even import it.
- — Nathaniel V. KELSO (@kelsosCorner)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:32:48@madmanwoo We're talking about topology that you have to be zoomed in 1:1 to see, way beyond the built and use scale.
- — Nathaniel V. KELSO (@kelsosCorner)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:31:46@madmanwoo Their "shape builder" will with input geoms who's topology doesn't match OGC's Simple Geom spec. Tolerance 4 gaps and overshoots.
- — Zac McCormick (@zacmcc)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:26:05
- — Nathaniel V. KELSO (@kelsosCorner)Fri, Aug 03 2012 23:25:19
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.