Tim Pernetti out as Rutgers athletics director
The Rutgers community, media and New Jersey residents react on social media to Tim Pernetti's departure.
- Tim Pernetti is out as athletics director at Rutgers University just days after video was aired of former men's basketball coach Mike Rice verbally and physically abusing players during a practice. Pernetti fired Rice earlier this week.
There was a campaign to sway university officials to keep the athletics director that brought Rutgers to the Big 10, but it wasn't enough.
People were taking to Twitter to react to the news, including athletes and coaches.
- — Khaseem Greene (@Khas_Greene20)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:39:36WOW!!! Everybody has an opinion but who really would've fired Mike Rice on the spot in the heat of the moment?? #FOH I'm disappointed man!
- — Eric LeGrand (@EricLeGrand52)Fri, Apr 05 2013 06:44:58Heading up to RU in support of Tim Pernetti to talk to some media. #KeepTimPernetti the things this man has done for me is indescribable
- Many, including students and alumni, were not happy with the decision, and at least one person planned to cancel his annual pledges to Rutgers.
- — Tom Barlow (@BarlowT_11)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:39:33@njdotcom absolutely ridiculous. Pernetti has done more for the Rutgers Athletic program than anyone in history. I'm absolutely disgusted.
- — Jen Zink (@theJenZink)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:31:54@njdotcom An absolute mistake. Pernetti brought passion to every aspect of his job. Pulling out the heart of RU community for 1 misjudgement
- — Meagan O'Biso (@meaganme_crazy)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:31:44@njdotcom the media wins again. Bad decision. He had help from others in the decision, and no players complained directly. Such a shame.
- At least one person said they don't understand the outrage over Pernetti's dismissal and others said they supported the decision.
- — Mike Steier (@SteierSays)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:28:31@njdotcom Right move. He didn't do enough (only $50K fine) when he knew about the Rice deal. Good move by Rutgers to maintain reputation
- — Eric (@eeberlew71)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:22:33@njdotcom Deserved. Was already bad a bad situation at the time but he compounded the problem by defending the decision on Tuesday.
- Several people also offered their thanks to Pernetti for all that he did for the Rutgers athletics program.
- — TJ Brungard (@TeJota08)Fri, Apr 05 2013 07:10:07@Tim_Pernetti is a great guy.Whoever hires is next will be the luckiest school in the US. Thank you for everything you did. We will miss you
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.