Sugden Audio - Legends
The Sugden brand is nearing a fifty year pedigree. Models from the early 1960s to now are highly regarded and collectable.
- Sugden has a rich history and through its passion for music it has a clear objective to enable Sugden devotees to enjoy the fun and emotion that music can invoke.
In 1964 James Edward Sugden designed and produced what is regarded as the worlds first commercially available solid state pure Class ‘A’ amplifier the A21. This has been a continuing model for nearly 50 years. This is a rare achievement.In 2011 The Absolute Sound & Hi-Fi+ recognised the Sugden A21 for changing the face of audio significantly and included it in the hall of fame as "One of The Ten Most Significant European Amplifiers of All Time".
Also rare is Sugden's method of construction, one piece of equipment is entrusted to one person with the result they have a personal pride and interest in what they have made. Their name is attached to the product, this is real hand-made craftsmanship in West Yorkshire, England.The company has a clear philosophical base, is owned and operated as a family business, still with ties to James Sugden who is now in retirement. Devotees of classic models will not part with their "precision instruments" that easily, thus the Sugden A21, Sugden C51/P51, A51 and C41/P41 models, to name a few, are scarce if not impossible to source. Some of these models are featured in our "Sugden Legends" below and you will get to see why there is such a pride of ownership towards Sugdens.
Looking forward the current four lines of Sugden models follow the company's long-standing philosophy of low distortion, musical and non-fatiguing reproduction but also take it to the next level. Three lines are Class 'A' designs and the fourth is Class 'AB' to enable more power with the mandatory Sugden Signature sound.
The current product line up includes: Sugden Masterclass Series, Sugden A21SE Special Edition Series, Sugden A21 Series and Sugden Mystro Series. The amplifiers from the current lines are also pictured.
- Sugden A21 (Original) Class 'A' Stereo Amplifier. (1964)
- Sugden A51 Pure Class 'A' Stereo Power Amplifier. (1967)
- Sugden A25B Mosfet Integrated Amplifier. (1990-1995)
- Evolution of the A21 resulted in the Sugden A21a in 1989. In 1998 there was no change to model code, still Sugden A21a Pure Class ‘A’ Integrated Stereo Amplifier but with a matching Sugden CD21 Compact Disc Player. (1998-2007)
- Sugden Au51 Series - Sugden Au51c Pre-Amplifier with Sugden Au51cs Power Supply & Sugden Au51p Power Amplifier. (1990-1999)
- Sugden Bijou CDMaster Compact Disc Player, HeadMaster Class 'A' Headphone Amplifier & Pre-Amplifier and AmpMaster Power Amplifier - with dedicated stand. (2002-2008)
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.