Closing Arguments on the House Budget Bill
The odyssey of House Bill 1 seemed to be drawing to a close — after an escape to the House floor and an endless tour around the island of amendments — the budget (Homer, if you're exerting more effort to get this analogy than I'm putting forth in writing it) seemed to nearly be home.
- — TXPoliticsBlog (@TXPoliticsBlog)Sun, Apr 03 2011 18:40:14In tomorrow's First Read -- The House passes a budget; the highlights and lowlights, political analysis and a full Storify roundup #txlege
- A look at how Twitter covered the closing arguments during the House budget debate.
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:30:13Amendments done, closing statements for and against just begun. Rep Giddings up 1st to speak against the bill. #txlege
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:31:48And for those who won't be able to stay in a nursing homes after these cuts. Rep. Giddings "I speak for those who have no voice." #txlege
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:34:58Giddings, this is a day of reckoning in my view. and we have not measured up for Texans. "Our best simply isn't good enough." #txlege
- The political attacks didn't stop during the first closing argument and a Democratic activist and Observer reporter quickly rebutted them.
- — PhillipMartin (@PhillipMartin)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:40:56
- — Forrest4Trees (@Forrest4Trees)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:36:16Astroturf leader @mqsullivan goes on about Dems and libs like they control every statewide office and the Lege. Whoops that's the Rs.
- Rep. Strama then took his turn to speak against the bill
- Rep. Castro took to the microphone to speek
- — Forrest4Trees (@Forrest4Trees)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:40:57Rep. Joaquin Castro: "This budget in this bill represent more than anything else a choice the Republican majority is making."
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:42:10Rep Castro up now. says House is sacrificing people being cut instead of closing tax loopholes to raise new revenue. #txlege
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:44:24Rep. Castro - speaking about Gov Perry: I don't think we should be trapped by the ideology of someone with political ambition. #txlege
- — Forrest4Trees (@Forrest4Trees)Sun, Apr 03 2011 19:43:38Rep. Castro uses that phrase again, "fiscal cannablism," e.g. the internecine fight over diminishing state resources
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.