How Fake Shelly is Handling the Vito Lopez Sexual Harassment Scandal
@ShellySilver is the handle for a still-anonymous person who satirizes the real New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. His/Her identity is the source of much speculation. He/She is often very funny/topical.
- When news broke late last week that Speaker Silver was going to strip powerful Brooklyn Assemblyman Vito Lopez of his leadership position following allegations he sexually harassed two of his staffers, Fake Shelly was quiet for two whole days, before he sent out his first missive.
- When the New York Times wrote an article saying Silver had approved a secret settlement before the most recent allegations came out, Fake Shelly started to defend himself.
- Fake Shelly took pains to remind us that Lopez is also being scrutinized as part of two federal investigations into the finances of the nonprofit Ridgewood Bushwick Senior Citizens Council, a housing organization he founded.
- There's an old saying that trouble always comes in threes. (also, trends) Weeks earlier, the New York Post broke a story about Assemblywoman Naomi Rivera's secret relationship with a former staffer, and on Saturday after the Lopez censure was announced, State Sen. Shirley Huntley held a press conference at her own home to announce she was going to be arrested in connection with a sham nonprofit/member items scandal. Everyone was focused on the Vito story.
- As details of the first settlement leaked out to the papers, Silver's handling of the scandal was subject to increased scrutiny.
- Documents related to the earlier settlement showed staff from Attorney General Eric Schneiderman's office and Comptroller Tom DiNapoli's office had looked at and exchanged communications about the settlement before it was signed.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.