#OccupySesameStreet: The Making of a Meme
What happened when a Wall Street spoof went viral.
Its members have serious concerns--about income inequality, the influence of large corporations in our political system, and their own financial futures. The #OccupySesameStreet movement? Not so much. A quick primer:
- It began, as all things must, with a tweet:
- Radiohead was not actually there, but that almost seems trivial at this point.
- The meme wallowed in obscurity for days, but then on Monday evening, it came back to life, with a vengeance:
- It wouldn't be a public protest without media criticism.
- That, via the Daily Caller's CJ Ciaramella, was a familiar refrain:
But Sesame Street is about way more than just Oscar. Sesame Street is multitudes. Like Kermit, for instance:
- Greed never tasted so great.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.