Your Favorite Cemeteries
Over the last couple of months, I quizzed my Twitter followers about their favorite cemeteries. Some of the same names kept coming up -- Highgate, Pere Lachaise, Recoletta in Buenos Aires -- but I was surprised how much the answers varied. The justifications ranged widely, too.
- — lancashirelady (@lancashirelady)Sat, Jan 04 2014 07:34:57@morbidloren I love Brompton Cemetery in London. Some amazing unique monuments & always something new to discover. It has catacombs too!
- — Foo Foo (@SignorinaFooFoo)Wed, Oct 30 2013 17:31:11@morbidloren umm taken a bit of a think & I am going to go for Monmarte in Paris, I love the fact that its like a rambling Italian village
- — Jody Martinez (@thiswasnews)Wed, Oct 30 2013 13:51:55@morbidloren Of those I've visited, I think probably the Little Bighorn Battlefield cemetery - Custer National Cemetery - was my favorite.
- — Stacey Graham (@staceyigraham)Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:10:04
- — Stacey Graham (@staceyigraham)Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:11:04@morbidloren The Union & Confederate soldiers are buried separately, with a street dividing them. On moonlit nights, ghosts are seen hopping
- — Stacey Graham (@staceyigraham)Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:12:03@morbidloren the wall to meet in the alley between the two, but they don't fight. They chat, and dance. Old war wounds forgotten.
- — Douglas Keister (@douglaskeister)Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:14:36@morbidloren Too many! Monumentale, Milan. Green-Wood, Staglieno, Genoa, PL, Magnolia, Charleston, Woodlawn, Bronx, Verano, Rome, Recoleta
- — Megan Rosenbloom (@LibraryatNight)Mon, Oct 28 2013 12:28:29
- — Stephen Blackmoore (@sblackmoore)Mon, Oct 28 2013 13:37:23@morbidloren Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland. Particularly the mausoleum right outside the gates where all the urns are books. You?
- — ms. aida (@neuronbomb)Mon, Oct 28 2013 13:58:23@morbidloren ooooof! I'm not extensively traveled as far as cemeteries go. I must say the 1 in Old San Juan in Puerto Rico is lovely though!
- — kate (@mirrorghost)Mon, Oct 28 2013 15:41:33@morbidloren it's green-wood in Brooklyn. I don't think I've visited enough to have a favorite! green-wood was pretty impressive &huge tho.
- — Bruno Huerta (@bruno_paranthro)Mon, Oct 21 2013 21:03:40@morbidloren Oak Grove Cemetery, Glennville, CA. Frazier Valley Cemetery, Strathmore, CA. Harmony Grove Cemetery, Lockeford, CA.
- — CemeteryRegistry.US (@gravestoneimage)Mon, Oct 07 2013 20:18:52@morbidloren My favorite cemetery is the Hanging coffins at Sagada, Mountain Province in the Philippines.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.