National Guardsmen shooting: How it unfolded on Twitter
Naval Support Activity Mid-South in Millington was on lockdown for about an hour on Thursday Oct. 25, 2013, after a shooting at the nearby National Guard Amory. Two guardsmen were shot and another guardsman was taken into custody.
- One of the first tweets came from @adrianjose02, who identifies himself on his Twitter account as a U.S. Navy Sailor.
- @MousePadWiiGii was on the base, sheltering in place. Initial reports were that as many as four people had been injured.
- Commercial Appeal columnist Wendi Thomas was at Glen Eagle Golf Course near the base for a fundraiser when the order came to shelter in place.
- As the news began to spread, @caulkthewagon, whose account lists the user as being based in Boston, offers her Twitter feed as a way to contact those on the base.
- The @USNavy official Twitter account confirmed the shooting as more reaction came in.
- The U.S. Navy later confirmed that the three people involved -- the two victims and suspect -- were all National Guardsman. The shooter was taken into custody. The victims were taken to the Regional Medical Center at Memphis in non-critical condition.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.