Politics and Sausage-Making: Iowa #edreform
Snippets from the Iowa House of Representatives' February 19 discussion on education reform
- The evening kicked off with a couple of prerequisites...
- 1. Obligatory statement that education in Iowa is sinking fast? Check.
- 2. Alarmist citation of misleading education movies? Check.
- Once those were out of the way, we decided to be cheap despite a record budget surplus of $1 billion.
- Because failing to invest in education helps solve that 'crouching toward educational mediocrity' issue we have. #teachingwithslatesandcandlesticks
- Universal preschool is uniformly recognized as both highly impactful and cost-effective. So of course that amendment got shot down QUICK.
- Then we turned to the REALLY important issues of the evening. First up: more support for home schoolers. 'Cause, you know, that's the majority of Iowa students.
- Next up, the most hotly-debated topic of the evening: Allowing homeschooling parents to teach their children driver's ed. Now that is some serious legislative bravery, people. Applaud our representatives for being willing to TAKE A STAND for the rights of all non-driving homeschooled kids...
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 2 already did!