Newark Mayor Booker saves life in fire, then catches fire on Internet
Returning home from a TV interview Thursday night, Newark Mayor Cory Booker - an oft-discussed potential challenger to Gov. Christie in the 2013 gubernatorial election - saw flames shooting from his neighbor's home. Over objections of his security detail, he went inside and saved the woman's life.
- Booker, already a Twitter celebrity and mega-user with more than 1 million followers, tweeted that he was okay.
- Early in the morning, he went back online to let everyone know, again, that he was okay.
- But by then, Booker's moment had become a full-blown Internet sensation. With a cue from the Chuck Norris meme - in which the action star is said to be the toughest thing on earth - the #CoryBookerStories meme was born.
- The meme made the mayor happy. But he also used the moment to do his civic duty.
- By 10 a.m. Friday, two Tumblr blogs were set up to honor the moment.
- The #CoryBookerStories meme intersected with other memes, like that of the famed online honey badger video.
- And a number of Twitter users made reference to the other big news story today: The failed rocket fired by North Korea.
- In fact, every news story imaginable was connected to Booker.
- A morning news conference added to the sensation.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!