President Obama Announces Support of Gay Marriage
President Obama announced his support of gay marriage in an ABC interview Wednesday afternoon. Here's how the story unfolded on Twitter, as collected by Mashable's Alex Fitzpatrick.
- — Peter Baker (@peterbakernyt)Wed, May 09 2012 12:16:10Obama cites "Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf" and "the Golden Rule" in deciding to support same-sex marriage.
- Romney, meanwhile, believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman.
- And Twitter users' reactions:
- — Keith A. Burton (@drkeithburton)Wed, May 09 2012 12:04:10I disagree with Obama's stance on same sex marriage. I do not believe it is a Civil Rights issue. Let's hope it doesn't hurt him this fall.
- — Sean Eldridge (@SeanEldridge)Wed, May 09 2012 12:03:02We will look back on today as a historic tipping point against discrimination in the United States. Thank you Mr. President.
- The reactions of politicians, commentators and celebrities:
- — A Great Big City (@agreatbigcity)Wed, May 09 2012 12:11:36Statement of Mayor Bloomberg on President Obama's support for marriage equality - http://on.nyc.gov/J1fg42 fg42
- — Mike Bloomberg (@MikeBloomberg)Wed, May 09 2012 12:26:37
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 4 already did!
- Bakari ChavanuIt's great that he finally took this position, but he could have done it years ago, and not waited until an election year.2012-05-09T20:04:56.203Z