CNN'S BLUEPRINT FOR SUCCESS
- Core values at CNN (last CEO): Innovate, collaborate, execute. Use for recruiting: what do u value.
- Do you have the right people in the room, and are they bringing their authentic selves+do you have a process to bring it out?
- In general, younger men are the most valuable demographic to advertisers -- hence sports
- Multicultural news audience=ad opportunities. Women, esp. black women, are big product evangelizers
- Talent looking for in multicultural multiplatform world - enthusiastic, adaptable, full of energy, full of ideas
- Motto to live by: "We are what we air"
- It is rare that you are doing too much - consumers rarely say you are doing TOO much coverage
- Advertisers want to be in news content vs scripted entertainment - where people engage in the transfer of info
- CNN's Idea Lab cultivates innovation/diversity of thought with "Free Thinking Friday" sessions.
- Special ad group then created to tap multicultural audience/ advertisers. McDonalds bought in early.
- Journalists "are every suspicious about marketing." To be effective he avoids using marketing language.
stopped being "Headline News" when audience shifted to web for news. Needed new programs, niche
- You need to be relevant as possible in as many ways as possible
- Platforms don't matter. Stories do.
- Content still drives the audience