ASNE DIVERSITY SUMMIT: Day 1
Leadership in Diversity: New Models for Growing Audience, Talent & Revenue; Sept. 19, 2011 @ NYT, 15th Floor conference center
ARTHUR SULZBERGER, JR.Opening speakerChairman, The New York Times Company, Publisher, The NYT- Embraced diversity across all business units- Audience "can see thru any effort to 'create' diversity"- Content must include diversity of thought, style and tone- Recruit outside your comfort zone- Hire someone w/less experience than you prefer
Headlining speaker (@medicieffect)Author of "The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation"- OBVIOUS: diversity drives innovation- Creative Process: throw stuff out there. Narrow down, research, iterate- Creativity v innovation = new idea v execution- Warning: If your idea is too big, it mAy never get started- Watch out for those "usual suspect" gatherings - not a place for creative, innovative, diverse thinking- Best chances of developing groundbreaking ideas when you combine vastly different cultures.- All new ideas are a combination of existing ideas- Almost all innovative ideas seem obvious after the fact- Bring a different perspective, go where others didn't go before.- BOTTOM LINE: If you bring people of diverse backgrounds together you will get better ideas
ESPN: Blueprint for Success- Whenever something goes wrong in the newsroom, , "It's a Scandal before god." Thus his Twitter handle:- Those of us in leadership positions, I ask each of you what do you do about diversity- Leave your comfort zone- You see diverse faces at online newsrooms but not too many are running things- WARNING: when using clever headlines on deadline, make sure you pass it around diverse members ie. "Dread Scott" for a sports story- If you're looking for diverse candidates diversify your recruiting habits and spend some time places you don't usually go- To recruit #diversity, need to diversify recruiting. Try recruiting at historically black colleges like Howard, Hampton- What happens when you are not there? Challenge to diverse staf//editors- When you look at the #s and you have to cut, I hope you look at the people and not cut diversity
- TONJA BROWN (senior editor, strategic integration @CNN)- Revenue is a byproduct of a great idea- Value different opinions, find dissenters and those culturally curious- You got to be agile if you want to see your idea executed, do your research- Be prepared to call in whether fail, succeed etc - like Old Country for Old Men- I treat anyone who is in decision making roles at work as person at the bank, dec how fulfill needs: revenue, time before ROI- Value different opinions, find dissenters and those culturally curious- Keeps me up at night - media industry doesn't understand the multicultural general market
- - Don't duplicate - do you own market research, test drive your ideas- Figure out your elevator pitch, what your ASK is, not same for everybody, could be advice, leads, $ etc- Treat your reader as your community, not your customer- Be journalistically curious - ethics are changing - search, who/what identified, anonymous comments, publisher/editor roles, new spaces + judgements
- MARITZA PUELLO (exec editor @NY1noticias)- 20-25% Spanish speaking out of 5 boroughs in NY, challenge is representing all diff ethnicities- We're advocating for the viewer- There's a certain personality type that works in startups - good work ethic, easily adaptable- Use your staff to reach diverse audiences ie. young reporters and tech- Culture issues - paying for stories, appearing on TV - become an educator bc don't want to implode that bridge- Do more w less but what if not have more? stressful but really innovative+streamlined+meaner+eaner bigger!
- - Ultimate goal is to be a mobile newsroom = reporters capturing and downloading news on mobile- With 0 mktg + no campaigning - 7000 unique/month in Manhattan -- imagine if expanded, can capture 50% of market- Unique idea - think Chinese version of Craigslist- Be agile, not make a fuss when test kitchen somethg ie. try @wordpress - watch how develop + change accordingly
- - The mainstream underestimate the importance of Jinwright trial - folks thought they had a comp inside the courtroom @qcitymetro covered extensively- When you're a small site and you're taking candidate money - you're very acutely aware when you're writing- Don't forget about revenue AND build audience- What gets me up in the morning is the readers- The Web is like restaurants. You don't go to the same one every day, but you return to the good ones
- - 2M uniques/month - minority of non-African Americans 20-40% but can't sell that group, advertisers only interested in African Ams audience wapo.st/pDb6lT- Recommends "The Tanning of America" How Hip-Hop Created a Culture That Rewrote the Rules of the New Economy- Why African Am media nec.? ie. being written out of history - Time Inc's profiles of 9-11 -- no African Americans represented!- Some potential recruits reluctant to work in ethnic media- Once a day, run a story that u think readers will not be interested in -- Reason why we exist
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.