Does BBC enjoy reporting on decline of local newspapers?
Peter Sands asked the question on a sunny Saturday morning. Newspaper journalists, including current and former editors, tweeted their reply.
- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 00:12:38
- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 00:16:19Is it just me or is BBC always happy to 'dance on the grave' of newspapers? http://bbc.in/KhCszC Going weekly is not the end of print.
- Here's the BBC report which has prompted Peter's question
- — Mike Sassi (@MikeSassi)Sat, May 26 2012 00:23:37
- — paul robertson (@paulrobbo1966)Sat, May 26 2012 00:28:54
- — Owen Jones (@Owenmjones)Sat, May 26 2012 00:32:00@petersands55 I understand why people feel sad at the loss of a daily, but not the perception that journalism stops once it goes weekly
- — Jon Welch (@JonMWelch)Sat, May 26 2012 00:33:20@petersands55 Thanks for RT, Peter. It is a big loss when a long-established evening paper goes weekly, no matter how publishers spin it.
- — paul robertson (@paulrobbo1966)Sat, May 26 2012 00:31:23@petersands55 if local newspapers died it would cause problems for local BBC as that's where they get most of their stories from.
- — john elworthy (@johnelworthy)Sat, May 26 2012 00:36:29
- — Alex Morrison (@journo_alex)Sat, May 26 2012 00:53:28
- — Richard Bowyer (@Sightscreen)Sat, May 26 2012 01:14:01@petersands55 As someone has already said, local BBC wouldn't have any content if local newspapers weren't around...theft of stories, guilty
- — liz gerard (@gameoldgirl)Sat, May 26 2012 01:17:20
- — Peter Sands, SMS (@petersands55)Sat, May 26 2012 01:29:50
- — Paul Wiltshire (@Paulwiltshire)Sat, May 26 2012 01:33:25@petersands55 BBC definitely disproportionately interested in other media's downsizing, but Nick Higham's report at least ends on +ve note
- — Gary Phelps (@tamheraldeditor)Sat, May 26 2012 01:55:33@petersands55 no doubt, which is rich given how thin regional TV news coverage is. The BBC 'Midlands' patch seems to cover half the country.
- — News Mutt (@NewsMutt)Sat, May 26 2012 02:32:42
- Here's an interesting diversion from Ian Read in Tunbridge Wells
- — davidhiggerson (@davidhiggerson)Sat, May 26 2012 07:05:44
- — Jeremy Clifford (@TheStarEditor)Sat, May 26 2012 06:35:56@petersands55 BBC have no understanding of the challenges we face and how good we are at meeting them because of their protected position
- — Jeremy Clifford (@TheStarEditor)Sat, May 26 2012 06:39:59@petersands55 when @northantset announced weekly plan, BBC journalist tweeted come to BBC for daily news. Showed lack of understanding
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.