What makes science beautiful
In his recent book, The Science Delusion, essayist Curtis Write criticizes scientists for describing some science as beautiful without really questioning why those things are beautiful ... or even what beauty means in this context.
- — Maggie Koerth-Baker (@maggiekb1)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:31:48Curious, impromptu survey: When you think of science as beautiful, what is it that makes that beauty, for you? What is beautiful science?
- — Bora Zivkovic (@BoraZ)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:39:30@maggiekb1 when lot of frustratingly disparate facts suddenly are shown to "fit" neatly together, building a bigger edifice of understanding
- — Jon Paxton (@JonPaxton)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:46:26@maggiekb1 The art of discovery, exploration, of reaching--even reaching without grasping--at understanding life is beauty. Data is a bonus.
- — Bradley Voytek (@bradleyvoytek)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:46:36@maggiekb1 that something seemingly chaotic and wild coalesces into meaning. Like watching a fire or waves on the ocean. There is structure.
- — claireoconnell (@claireoconnell)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:51:54
- — Chris Black (@infotroph)Mon, Jun 10 2013 15:52:40@maggiekb1 Beautiful science takes the biggest possible hole in our knowledge and fills it by finding the smallest possible new fact.
- — Matt Mechtley (@biphenyl)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:01:21@maggiekb1 I love thinking about process too. Water carving the Grand Canyon over millions of years. Stars exploding and forming dust.
- — Matt Mechtley (@biphenyl)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:02:46@maggiekb1 Kind of like staring at brush strokes in a Van Gogh. It’s pretty, but you can look closer and read the past out of it.
- — Wendy Quent (@wendyquent)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:08:41@maggiekb1 - To me it's something I can relate to on a human level. Something that highlights our triumphs or reassures our existence.
- — Beauty Salon Radio (@BeautySalonURI)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:11:58@maggiekb1 Sure! (1/2) From the above responses: BEAUTIFUL science = Wonder at the world that is, that then draws one to find out more
- — Beauty Salon Radio (@BeautySalonURI)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:13:01@maggiekb1 (2/2) then from others, beautiful SCIENCE = an appreciation of the execution of knowing, done in elegant and eloquent ways
- — Beauty Salon Radio (@BeautySalonURI)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:23:40@maggiekb1 Together one side (BEAUTIFUL) invites and inspires thinking, the other (SCIENCE) drives and refines. Two ways to love what is.
- — Steven Ashley (@steveashleyplus)Mon, Jun 10 2013 16:30:46@maggiekb1 When sci unlocks a mystery to explain bit of the universe and in doing so unveils unexpected order, splendor and magnificence.
- — Michael Conover (@vagabondjack)Mon, Jun 10 2013 19:07:04@maggiekb1 A glimpse of hidden order, ineffable truths shimmering just beneath the surface of all that we touch.
- — Jenny Morber (@JRMorber)Mon, Jun 10 2013 19:11:28@maggiekb1 It is the deep understanding of how things ARE, of how parts fit to create something so unbearably complex it should be fantasy
- — Jenny Morber (@JRMorber)Mon, Jun 10 2013 19:12:40@maggiekb1 It is that moment when an idea, an amazing beautiful revolutionary idea becomes reality. It is seeing atoms for the first time.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!