There is no "traditional" route to a career in science. Each of us has had unique experiences and struggles that we dealt with which shape who we are.
- Andrea Kuszewski tweeted some remarks that I felt didn't do the aforementioned conversation justice, but reflected upon her personal experiences in dealing with gender issues online.
- — Andrea Kuszewski (@AndreaKuszewski)Thu, Jan 26 2012 18:37:13
- — Andrea Kuszewski (@AndreaKuszewski)Thu, Jan 26 2012 18:38:32
- — Andrea Kuszewski (@AndreaKuszewski)Thu, Jan 26 2012 18:42:25Female scis can be pretty. Then can like pink. They can have long hair & wear makeup. Doesn't invalidate their science. #scio12
- — Kate Clancy (@KateClancy)Thu, Jan 26 2012 18:41:25
- — Andrea Kuszewski (@AndreaKuszewski)Thu, Jan 26 2012 18:43:19@KateClancy Thinly veiled comments/posts don't fool me. I know what this whole debate/discussion is really about, because I lived it last yr
- The conversation continues between Andrea and the twitterverse. But I thought the lessons of Mireya's talk were lost amongst the chatter on Zuska's blog and twitter.
- — Kevin Zelnio (@kzelnio)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:27:23
- — Kate Clancy (@KateClancy)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:29:59This convo is why I'm open about playing derby. I do science. I perform femininity. I hit the shit out of people. It's all ok. #scio12
- So I openly opined that perhaps we need to be better at recognizing the diversity of our experiences. We all struggled in one or another to get to where we are. The result? An awesome group of people that I've grown to love and respect in SO many ways over my 5 years of being a member of this amazing community. Thus, #IamScience was born! I was shocked by the response!
- — Kevin Zelnio (@kzelnio)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:37:15
- — Psi Wavefunction (@PsiWavefunction)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:39:14Oh, maybe I do have a non-traditional part: I barely made it through undergrad with a GPA of 2! #IAmScio12
- — skullsinthestars (@drskyskull)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:41:32#IAmScio12 Mostly a traditional path to a physics prof, though I *did* nearly fail jr. high algebra! (Math didn't come easy at first.)
- — MT N Hellfire (@MtnHellfire)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:45:25
- — Kateryna Artyushkova (@scimomof2)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:44:49Fell in love in statistics when worked as Marketing Analyst at Coca cola Co in Ukraine while trying to get to grad school in US #IAmScio12
- — Kevin Zelnio (@kzelnio)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:44:50
- — Kevin Zelnio (@kzelnio)Thu, Jan 26 2012 19:46:42
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 5 already did!