May Day Strikes and Protests in the San Francisco Bay Area
Labor unions and Occupy activists nationwide are holding a series of strikes and marches May 1.
- This Storify covers events between 5am and 5pm. For additional coverage, please check out our live blog at KQED.org/newsfix.
- The Oakland Tribune also has video of the protests from Tuesday afternoon and evening.
- Some of the noteworthy events covered in this Storify, from Oakland: police clash with protesters; protesters march to banks; from San Francisco: protesters enter 888 Turk Street; immigration rally; ferry service closed the morning of May 1.
- As of 5pm, demonstrators are marching from Fruitvale to join other protesters in Frank Ogawa Plaza.
- — Scott Johnson (@scott_c_johnson)Tue, May 01 2012 15:04:57
- — Doug Sovern (@SovernNation)Tue, May 01 2012 14:52:40What's next: RT@OccupyOakland after dispersal order we reconvene at 14th & broadway for a march to meet up w the one coming from fruit-vale
- — Oakland Police Dept. (@oaklandpoliceca)Tue, May 01 2012 14:41:29
- — Oakland North (@northoaklandnow)Tue, May 01 2012 14:42:33
- PROTESTERS ENTER 888 TURK STREET (San Francisco):An estimated 400 Occupy San Francisco supporters marched to 888 Turk Street in mid-afternoon, planning to establish a commune in the building.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.