Berkeley City Council Debates Sit-Lie in Raucous Meeting
Berkeley residents may vote this November on a proposed ordinance that would put restrictions on the ability to sit and lie on city streets. City Council took steps to put the ordinance on the November ballot at a raucous council meeting June 12.
- — Oksana Yurovsky (@oyurovsky)Tue, Jun 12 2012 23:00:29The line at #berkmtg to speak abt sidewalks measure is huge. Councilmember Worthington proposed extending mtg to 1130pm 2 hear comments
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Tue, Jun 12 2012 22:23:38#berkmtg the chaos over sit-lie begins. The Titanic that is the ordinance is under attack - children and elderly are first
- — Oksana Yurovsky (@oyurovsky)Tue, Jun 12 2012 22:21:31Little boy speaks against sit-lie:"If people don't have a placebo sit or something then it is very sad bc then they have to walk around"
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Tue, Jun 12 2012 22:56:46#berkmtg Another song has erupted. The crowd joins in clapping. We motion for the Council meetings to all involve musical numbers. Seconds?
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Tue, Jun 12 2012 23:07:04#berkmtg Anon: "Does Darth Vader know you stole his identity?" Now that he mentions it, BCC is as stone faced as the Jedi High Council
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Tue, Jun 12 2012 23:53:29#berkmtg Berk loves its animals. A man in a cat suit said: "we NEED to sit". True, cats are a very sleepy species.
- — Lars Skjerping (@LarsSkjerping)Tue, Jun 12 2012 23:57:45
- — Oksana Yurovsky (@oyurovsky)Wed, Jun 13 2012 00:08:47#berkmtg Mayor Bates says the city provides more homeless services than any city around and is drowned out by the crowd of people in chamber
- — Oksana Yurovsky (@oyurovsky)Wed, Jun 13 2012 00:40:53#berkmtg quickly devolving. Anderson warns Bates not to use gavel on him, or else he will bring his own " you don't regulate what I say"
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Wed, Jun 13 2012 00:20:55#berkmtg Anderson finishes a tirade against sit-lie by downing some apple juice. Fruit consumption is the best way to end a speech, indeed.
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Wed, Jun 13 2012 00:25:07#berkmtg Worthington similarly condemns the measure. We suspect his energy must derive from his tie. It's a terribly intimidating tie.
- — The Daily Clog (@thedailyclog)Wed, Jun 13 2012 00:29:18#berkmtg Bates looks like he's about to throw a punch at Worthington. Ten member council is about to turn into an episode of Game of Thrones
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.