Sen. Chuck Winder's Abortion Comment Causes Outrage
A closing quote on an abortion debate has one Idaho lawmaker facing quite a bit of criticism.
- Just so we're all caught up to speed, here's the quote that started it all: “Rape and incest was used as a reason to oppose this," Winder said on the Senate floor. "I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that's part of the counseling that goes on.”
- Not surprisingly, news outlets immediately jumped on the story. It's worth pointing out that Winder never directly said women use rape as an excuse for abortion. However, he does seem to suggest that women may not know if it was caused by marriage.
- Heads up, the below link does contain some adult language but the points of writer brings up are worth reading.
- So far Winder's Facebook wall is covered with posts from outraged commentators both from Idaho and across the country.
- Of course, the responses didn't just stop at the Senator's page. Across Twitter and Facebook, individuals began weighing in on Windor's words.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.