USOC vs. Knitters
The United States Olympic Committee ran into a social media crisis when it sent a cease and desist letter to Ravelry, a knitting group that wanted to host the "Ravelympics."
- It started with a cease and desist letter asking a knitting group to stop using the term "Ravelympics." But the language was harsh. Knitters were offended:
- — Jane Morley (@jm3twink)Wed, Jun 20 2012 22:55:35US Olympic committee has upset knitters. I'm from UK & I'm pissed off. Don't upset us, we have pointy sticks & aren't afraid to use them!
- — Elizabeth Dailey (@MommaElspeth)Wed, Jun 20 2012 20:02:21Now I have to boycott the Summer Olympics on principle. USOC needs to get both manners and sense. #Ravelympics
- The USOC apologized:
- That didn't go over so well.
- — Aberrant Crochet (@AberrantCrochet)Fri, Jun 22 2012 13:32:01
- The USOC apologized again:
- — US Olympic Team (@USOlympic)Thu, Jun 21 2012 13:26:54As a follow-up to our previous statement, we would again like to apologize to the members of the Ravelry community http://bit.ly/Lj34TB .
- USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky responded to hundreds of critics:
- — Patrick Sandusky (@PatrickSandusky)Thu, Jun 21 2012 21:08:27@skeinnbones check updated statement. Honestly we shouldnt have used some of the words that we did in that letter. So we apologized. Twice
- Several people accepted the apology:
- — Elizabeth (@elizabeyth)Thu, Jun 21 2012 19:11:15I just cannot get behind "OMG BOYCOTT!!!" as a response to anything. Especially a misguided C&D letter. Apology accepted, USOC. #ravelympics
- Here's my interview with USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky about the lessons he and his organization took from the controversy:
- — Kevin J. Allen (@Kevin_J_Allen)Mon, Jun 25 2012 13:22:36
- And now Ravelry is choosing a new name for the Ravelympics:
- — Ravelry.com (@ravelry)Mon, Jun 25 2012 06:41:56Well, that's that. The Ravelympics mods are running a poll to choose a new name before the end of the day: http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/2194503/1-25 …om/discuss/for-the-love-of-ravelry/2194503/1-25
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!