Ripples of Doubt
#RipplesOfDoubt is a Twitter hashtag devoted to sharing experiences of self-doubt that ripple out - in small and large ways, through lives and through communities - as a result of abuse and/or harassment. Also see: #ripplesofhope.
- [Trigger warning: sexual abuse/harassment]
Following revelations that science 'blogfather' Bora Zivkovic, leader of the ScienceOnline community and Scientific American blog editor, sexually harassed at least two women (good background here, here, here, and many other places), a string of tweets caught my attention:
- — Roxy BOO (@redrawnoxen)Wed, Oct 16 2013 12:23:11
- — Mama Joules (@MamaJoules)Wed, Oct 16 2013 14:28:35
- — David Dobbs (@David_Dobbs)Wed, Oct 16 2013 16:05:09
- — pschiendelman (@pschiendelman)Wed, Oct 16 2013 16:40:31
- Though I'd been closely following the upsetting events of the last few days, and though I had replayed some of my own interactions with Bora in my mind, wondering what they might mean, I hadn't considered how hard this same exercise might be for others with different experiences from mine. But still, in my mind, it was a theoretical harm.
That is, until Allie Wilkinson bravely tweeted…
- — Allie Wilkinson (@loveofscience)Thu, Oct 17 2013 06:30:57
- — Allie Wilkinson (@loveofscience)Thu, Oct 17 2013 06:31:34
- — Allie Wilkinson (@loveofscience)Thu, Oct 17 2013 06:31:46
- — Allie Wilkinson (@loveofscience)Thu, Oct 17 2013 07:56:11
- — David Dobbs (@David_Dobbs)Thu, Oct 17 2013 07:58:22
- I thought about it some more and tweeted…
- — Karen James (@kejames)Thu, Oct 17 2013 08:33:16
- Then the flood gates opened.
- — Katie Mack (@AstroKatie)Thu, Oct 17 2013 08:38:19@kejames And how many women are asking themselves if they were ever safe & valued in a community where harassment occurred w/out comment?
- — Katie Mack (@AstroKatie)Thu, Oct 17 2013 08:54:46
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 6 already did!