Help us document #FakeSandy photos
The brunt of Hurricane Sandy hasn't yet hit the East Coast, and images are already surfacing online. Help Guardian US get the word out about bad photos:
- This doctored Statue of Liberty photo -- one that gets pulled out during every significant weather event in New York -- made its latest appearance Monday:
- And while we're at it, here's another photo of the Statue of Liberty circulating on Instagram tagged #Sandy. It's a screen shot from movie The Day After Tomorrow:
Flooded fast food? Think again.
- This photo of a "McDonalds in Virginia Beach flooded" was actually a photo of an art installation. Still, the image received hundreds of retweets and shares.
Outdated photo goes viral
- An incredible (but outdated) photo of guards outside of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier went viral Monday morning. One copy of the photo, sent by the ironically titled "OMG FACTS" account, received more than 3,000 retweets:
- (Here's what's actually going on in Arlington.)
- This shark photo really is the hoax for all seasons. It was most recently NOT spotted in Ocean City.
- This photo of a shark swimming near a flooded home in Brigantine, NJ has also been debunked as doctored.
- Jury's still out on what's happening in this video ...
- This photo was making the rounds and crediting the grey skies as Sandy's doing, but it's actually from a thunderstorm in 2011.
- This ominous-looking image of the Brooklyn Bridge was circulating Monday morning, but it's actually a three-year-old stock photo.
Escaped zoo animals?!
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 13 already did!
- dlafontaineThe guys over at TinEye are going to be busy in the days and weeks to come... 2012-10-29T20:37:50.217Z
- Miriam HolmesInteresting how fakes of all types are making the rounds.2012-10-29T19:33:57.968Z
- dlafontaine...and clicking through a bit more, I find that it *was* actually a storm, albeit one over the Great Plains. Another hint: the seas are way, way too calm in the......and clicking through a bit more, I find that it *was* actually a storm, albeit one over the Great Plains. Another hint: the seas are way, way too calm in the foreground. more2012-10-29T19:26:55.613Z
- dlafontaineI think the first photo of the circular cloud over the Statue of Liberty is a photoshopped composite of the giant alien spaceship hovering over NYC from...I think the first photo of the circular cloud over the Statue of Liberty is a photoshopped composite of the giant alien spaceship hovering over NYC from "Independence Day". The pixel irregularities in the center look like someone created a brush, using sampling of heavy clouds, and then just painted them in on the original layer and then used a "Multiply" blend mode. more2012-10-29T19:22:08.863Z
- Katie Rogers@Jim link?2012-10-29T18:54:58.429Z
- Jim GardnerThere's also a cheesy Day After Tomorrow shot of a wave breaking at Liberty's foot.2012-10-29T17:59:02.668Z