Public Editor's 'Office Hours' - November 19
Margaret Sullivan, the public editor of The New York Times, conducted her first 'Office Hours' on Twitter on Monday, using the hashtag #OpenPublic. Some of the highlights are included below, from The Times's coverage of the conflict in Israel and Gaza to what constitutes a journalistic trend.
- There were questions about the role of the public editor and how it is perceived in The Times newsroom..
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:10:11@brunofmoura I think they feel it's a necessary evil. Everyone has been helpful and welcoming, especially considering...
- .. to how The Times has covered the conflict in Israel and Gaza through Monday, Nov. 19.
- — Greg Mitchell (@GregMitch)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:17:09@Sulliview Now that Ethan Bronner's back in Tel Aviv,do you agree w/ previous public ed that tho he may seem fair it gives bad appearance?
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:23:38
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:17:09@SajjadSajad I'm not sure what you're asking, but the subject has been getting very heavy coverage and commentary on news and opinion pages.
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:18:50
- Some readers asked about Times standards and guidelines..
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:15:04@Madabip I don't think it's an invasion of privacy. Sending in the photos is voluntary. May cause intra-household war, I'll grant you.
- — Fire Tom Friedman (@firetomfriedman)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:41:31@Sulliview Is granting - w/o explanation - anonymity to Jill Kelley's spokesman a violation of NYT sourcing policy? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us/frederick-humphries-fbi-agent-in-petraeus-case.html?pagewanted=all …om/2012/11/15/us/frederick-humphries-fbi-agent-in-petraeus-case.html?pagewanted=all
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:43:57
- .. and some wanted to know about Times trends stories and its fascination with Brooklyn.
- — Young Ideas (@DickYoungsGhost)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:42:14
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:46:22
- — Margaret Sullivan (@Sulliview)Mon, Nov 19 2012 09:49:25.@DickYoungsGhost Here's Brian Williams' amusing take on the discovery of Brooklyn. http://gothamist.com/2010/12/29/brian_williams_humorously_skewers_t.php …/2openpublicbrian_williams_humorously_skewers_t.php #openpublic
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.