Are Sky News and the BBC wrong about Twitter? - what you think
I wrote a piece about Sky News and the BBC updating their social media guidelines and asked my Twitter followers what they thought. Here are some of the replies before and after I wrote the piece.
- I asked Twitter users what they thought:
- — Jonathan Haynes (@JonathanHaynes)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:18:46OK, I'm going to write about why the BBC and Sky News are wrong about Twitter … anyone want to shout with their two cents worth? #opennews
- — Claire Phipps (@Claire_Phipps)Wed, Feb 01 2012 14:25:08
- — ben goldacre (@bengoldacre)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:18:46
- — Sara Barnard (@saramegan)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:19:46@JonathanHaynes Social media is a conversation. The BBC and Sky News think they can somehow monopolise the conversation. They can't.
- — Nick Lawrence (@_Nick_Lawrence)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:20:05@JonathanHaynes BBC rules aren't draconian... new IT system in place means stuff can happen virtually simultaneously anyhow
- — Jonathan Cresswell (@JonathanEx)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:21:09@JonathanHaynes If the problem is news orgs feel 'behind' to live Twitter feeds, the problem is in their platforms - not Twitter.
- — matt prodger (@MattProdger)Wed, Feb 08 2012 10:25:01@JonathanHaynes BBC guidelines incomparable to Sky's new draconian ones. Just say inform newsdesk so broadcast media have copy.
- — Chris Hamilton (@chrishams)Wed, Feb 08 2012 13:41:04@JonathanHaynes We're not saying BBC journalists can't break stories on Twitter. More here http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/14562397 …co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/14562397
- My piece went on the site:
- — Richard Glyn (@rickglyn)Thu, Feb 09 2012 05:01:29
- — AndrewW (@AndrewW54)Wed, Feb 01 2012 14:25:08@JonathanHaynes Good words, because of twitter I now buy the Guardian more often.Same goes for the NS and my respect for the SkyNews guys.
- — Andrew Stuart (@AndrewStuart)Thu, Feb 09 2012 05:23:36@JonathanHaynes It's a shame they brought these 'rules' in. Journos understand Twitter, and newsdesks can pick up lines quickly from it.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.