Tracking Journalist Arrests at Occupy Protests Around the Country
I have been tracking, confirming and verifying reports of journalist arrests at Occupy protests all over the country since September, 2011. Help me by sending tips and tweets to @jcstearns and tagging reports of press suppression and arrests with #journarrest.
- Between September 2011 and September 2012 more than 90 journalists have been arrested in 12 cities around the United States while covering Occupy protests and civil unrest. (Check back for updates) This number includes an array of people who were documenting and reporting on Occupy events including professional press, freelancers, photographers, independent filmmakers, and citizen journalists.
SEPTEMBER 2011 - one arrest
On September 24, 2011, public television reporter John Farley was arrested.
OCTOBER 2011 - ten arrests
Natasha Lennard was arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday, October 1, 2011.
Kristen Gwynne, a staff member at AlterNet, was also arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge on October 1, 2011.
- Stephanie Keith, freelance photographer, was arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge on October 1, 2011. She was able to sell many of her photos of the arrests on the bridge to the Associated Press.
- Stephanie Keith, 40, a freelance photographer arrested on Saturday, backed up claims by those online, saying she also was confused by the police tactics. Keith told the Daily Dot in a phone interview that she was in the front of the crowd, and was among the first to be arrested. At the beginning of the confrontation, police read from a prepared statement, telling protesters they would be arrested if they blocked the road. But she said, “no one except the few people in the front heard the police, because the chanting was so loud,” Keith said. “The people in the back had no idea the police had said anything.”
- Journalist Marisa Holmes is arrested on September 25th whiling filming Law Student Robert Stephen's protest in front of the bank that took his parents home.
- On October 11th WPRO's Bob Plain was arrested as part of Occupy Boston.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 110 already did!