3.11, one year on: visuals
The scale of the disaster in Japan is hard to grasp, but these visuals and infographics let us focus on details and get a panoramic look at the reality of the quake, tsunami and nuclear release.
Earthquake and tsunami
- Animated graphic showing just how enormous the 3/11 earthquake was. The main temblor hits at 1.40.
- This NOAA animation shows the path of the tsunami.
- This xkcd.com infographic puts radiation in perspective.
- This interactive feature compares radiation levels:
Before and after pictures
- Satellite photos taken on March 12 began to show the enormity of the destruction.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.