Who Has The Healthiest Fast Food Burgers?
Finding out which fast food restaurant makes the healthiest burgers.
Everybody talks like they make the healthiest burgers, but nobody shows fact. So in this essay I’m going to find out who makes the healthiest burgers in the fast food industry. I know it sounds like they will all be in the same area in nutrition facts, but there might be somebody that might surprise people. I’m going to talk about the main fast food burger making companies: Wendy’s, McDonalds, Burger King, Whataburger, and In-N-Out. I think McDonalds and Burger King will be the unhealthiest place to buy a burger from and Wendy’s or Whataburger might be one of the places that can be considered as making one of the healthiest burgers.
- First restaurant were going to look at is Wendy’s. The nutrition chart says you should at least have at least 2015-2600 calories a day for inactive males and 2325-3000 for active males, depending on your weight size. In their triple stacked burger it contains 1,060 calories. For a burger I think that for a one meal that is too much. That’s like almost half of the calories needed for a day for an inactive male. Now depending on what you eat for the rest of the day, most likely you will be way over the amount needed. When I added and divided all the burgers calories, the average amount for each burger Wendy’s makes is 542 calories. That’s at least a fourth of the recommended intake is. Taking the example of calories I used earlier, if you take in at least 2,000 calories, you should only put 65 grams of fat and 20 grams of saturated fat in you. At 2,500 calories should consume 80 grams of fat maximum and 25 grams of saturated fat. You should take in a maximum of 93 grams of fat and 31 grams of unsaturated fat if you need 2,800 calories.
- I calculated and found out the average total fat (32grams) and saturated fat (13grams) in a Wendy’s burger. That’s okay if your calorie intake is between 2,500 and 2,800, but not all that good if it’s lesser than 2,500 calories. This time I’m going to take their simple double junior bacon cheeseburger and use its total and saturated fat. A double junior bacon cheeseburger has 32 grams of total fat and 12 grams of saturated fat in it. If your calorie intake is 2,000, then that’s almost half the amount of total fat and three-fifths of saturated fat you need for the day. So just think of their burgers bigger than that, it would take most of the grams of fat you should eat in a day. At 2,800 calories, that would take more than one-thirds of the total and saturated fat. It’s not as bad because the person takes in more calories so it has to take in more fat to make it balanced.
- Next victim on our list is McDonalds. Their burger with the highest calories is the Angus Chipotle BBQ Bacon at a surprising 800 calories. That’s 260 calories lesser than Wendy’s highest calorie burger. I added all the calories each McDonald’s burger had and divided it for its average. The average calories a McDonald’s hamburger contains however is 558 calories. That’s 16 calories higher than Wendy’s average. McDonalds average 28 gram of total fat and 12 grams of saturated fat. Let’s take the legendary Big Mac as an example.
It has 29 grams of total fat and 10 grams of saturated fat. That’s like half the total and saturated fat grams in a day for a person with 2,000 calories. At 2,500 calories that takes up one-third of total fat and two-fifths of the saturated fat. McDonalds might have more calories than Wendy’s, but has less total and saturated fat in their burgers. Even though Wendy’s has more fat than McDonalds, it is still healthier than them. I think McDonalds don’t tell the truth about their food entirely. There are rumors going around saying McDonalds don’t use real meat to make their hamburgers which is kind of weird.
Burger King, Home of the Whopper, is next on the list. Would their burgers be less fattening since all their burgers are flame-broiled? Well the biggest burger, The Triple Whopper with Cheese, has a whopping 1,230 calories. That’s 170 more calories than Wendy’s triple stack burger and 430 more than McDonald’s Angus Chipotle BBQ Bacon burger. That’s taking more than half of the calories for somebody that’s supposed to take in 2,000 calories and almost half for people who need 2,500 to 2,800 calories. Then you have fries and a drink with that, by the end of the meal it would take up three-fourths of your calorie intake. So if you were on a diet you couldn’t eat that much food after that. After calculating, Burger King averages 566 calories a burger.
- That’s more calories than both Wendy’s (by 24 calories) and McDonalds (by 8 calories). This still don’t mean it’s the unhealthiest right now out of the three restaurants, we need to see how much fat an average burger holds. An averaged burger at Burger King holds at least 35 grams of total fat and 13 grams of saturated fat. If you take in 2,000 calories, total and saturated fat takes more than half you need and if you eat 3 meals a day you are guaranteed to gain weight by the end of the week if you eat Burger King every day. If your calorie intake is around 2,500- 2,800, it can still impact you or make you gain weight, but not that much.
- Our research is still not done; we still have a couple more fast food places to look up. I don’t really know what Whataburger is famous for, but I’m guessing it’s there “Whataburger” burger. Their burger with the highest calories is the Chop House Cheddar Burger with 1,170 calories. That is more than Wendy’s and McDonalds highest calorie burgers, but lesser than Burger King. It is a little over half calories for males who only need to take in 2,000 calories and barely under for males who are between 2,500 and 2,800. The average calories a Whataburger burger has is shockingly at 738 calories. I didn’t know an average burger from Whataburger would be that much, I thought it would be at least lower than McDonalds or Burger King. Their burgers hold in so many calories it is ridiculous.
- Their burgers, as an average, hold more total (44 grams) and saturated (16 grams) fat than Wendy’s, McDonalds, and Burger King. That’s close to three-fourths of the total fat and four-fifths of saturated fat for somebody who consumes 2,000 calories. For a burger, that is a lot to take in at one time. For somebody with 2,500 calories, that would be a little over half in total fat and half in saturated fat. Even though Whataburger is one of the best burger restaurants in the U.S., it looks like it can be one of the unhealthiest burger joints by how much fat their burgers contain.
- Lastly, the newest company that’s starting to grow in the U.S. is In-N-Out burger restaurant. This place has gotten a lot of praise about their burgers and being one of the best burgers some of it customers have ever had. The question is, how healthy is their burgers though? They only have three burgers on their menu and the Double- Double with onion is the one with the highest calories with 670 calories. That’s not high at all compared to all the other restaurants mentioned. Males that have a 2,000 calorie diet can eat this without worrying about if it is going to mess up their calorie intake. If your calorie estimation is around 2,500- 2,800 you shouldn’t think twice about eating here because you’re safe.
- In-N-Out averages basically 513 calories a burger. That’s one-fourth of 2,000 calories, the smallest proportion out of all the burger joints I have been talking about. In-N-Out also averages 29 grams of total and 11 grams of saturated fat. It has less saturated fat then everybody else, but McDonalds is the only company that has less total fat then them. The way their averages are looking, it looks like their food shouldn’t affect you or if it does it shouldn’t that much.
So by looking back at the paper, the two companies that make burgers with the highest calories are Whataburger and Burger King. The two companies that make low calorie burgers are Wendy’s and In-N-Out. Whataburger and Burger King also make burgers with the most fat in it while McDonalds and In-N-Out make burgers with the less fat. The healthiest burger restaurant by the information given is In-N-Out. They had the lowest calorie average and one of the lowest total averages. Even though Whataburger makes one of the best burgers, it is the unhealthiest burger joints to eat at. So remember just because it’s good it’s most likely the unhealthiest places to eat at.
- Work CitedIn N Out Burger Secret Menu: List of All Off-Menu Items at In N Out Burger. Digital image. Top 10 Lists & Much More - The Best Lists About Everything | Ranker - A World of Lists. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.ranker.com/list/in-n-out-secret-menu-items/secret-menu-items> …;.
Email, Daily. Whataburger Free Food in December! Digital image. Coupon Printable | Free Coupons | Promo Codes | Coupon Dad%u2122. Coupon Dad, 29 Nov. 2009. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.coupondad.net/blog/whataburger-free-food-december/> …;.
Free McDonalds Coupons 2011 | McDonalds Coupons. Digital image. The Best McDonalds Coupons 2011. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.mcdonalds-coupons.net/free-mcdonalds-coupons-2011/> …;.
Wendy%u2019s %u2013 the Best Fast Food Joint in America | Ifood.tv. Digital image.Ifood.tv | Your Food Network - Food Video Recipes Blog. Culinary Traveller, 19 Apr. 2010. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.ifood.tv/blog/wendy-s-the-best-fast-food-joint-in-america> …;.
"Nutrition Information." Wendys.com. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/nutrition.pdf> …;.
"How Many Grams of Fat Should You Eat per Day." The Q&A Wiki. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_fat_should_you_eat_per_day> …;.
Http://www.euronet.nl/~jonkr/ …, Ron Jonk-. "How Many Calories and Fat Grams Do You Need? - Maryland Heart Center." University of Maryland Medical Center | Home. 2010. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. <umm.edu/heart/caloric.htm>.
"Nutrition Information." Mcdonalds.com. McDonalds. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf> …;.
"BURGER KING® – Menu and Nutrition: The BK® Menu." BURGER KING® - HAVE IT YOUR WAY®. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.bk.com/en/us/menu-nutrition/full-menu.html> …;.
"Nutritional Info." Whataburger. 2011. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.whataburger.com/browse_nutritional_info.php> …;.
"IN-N-OUT Burger." In-N-Out Burger - Welcome. 2011. Web. 11 Nov. 2011. < http://www.in-n-out.com/nutritional_info.asp> …;.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.