R.A. Dickey has a mountain to climb
R.A. Dickey will be inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame on Jan 18, 2012 in Knoxville, but before that he has a mountain to climb, literally. He plans to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in an effort to raise awareness of the issue of human trafficking in India.
- "I don't think there's really any lethal risk to doing it," ... "It's not like it's Everest." -- Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey
- He hopes to reach the 19,300 feet summit Mount Kilimanjaro on Jan. 14, 2012.
- And, Dickey has been donated technology for the trip that will allow him to document his climb in real time.
- Dickey is attempting to raise $100,000 for a group called Bombay Teen Challenge that will use the money to build health clinic in the red-light district of Mumbai, India. He's over halfway to his goal.
- Dickey is the only three-time First Team All-American in Tennessee baseball history (1994-96). He was a two-time first team All-SEC selection and an academic All-American. He had a 3.35 GPA. And, oh yeah, he was a member of 1996 Olympic baseball team that won a bronze medal in Atlanta.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.