The Tabernacle of Hedonism with Your Host Tom Miller.
Amen a Percocet, Amen bath salts, Amen Cathy Cocaine, Amen Jamba. The service meeting convenes as the group is introduced to the council headed by the Reverend and hosted by the infamous, Tom Miller.
- Tom Miller is well known in the Gainesville area for his many talents. The American writer, film director, artist, painter, musician, actor, poet and performance artist began his career in Gainesville in 1984. Miller is currently attending the University of Florida. The acting major is in works of perfecting his talent. You can find the multi-talented man at local bar, 1982. He is the host of variety show and church service of The Tabernacle of Hedonism with Your Host, Tom Miller.
- The Tabernacle of Hedonism is the longest running variety show in Gainesville and is also the only variety show that is considered a church.
- Headed by Reverend Angel dust the congregation prays to the Dumpster Goddess, Jamba. Services are held Monday nights at 9 p.m. Cover is $3 and all funds are used to promote and support the show and various enterprises of the church. They believe in "doing only that which is right." The council is filled with various members of the community who are all ordained ministers.
- They promote the legalization of marijuana and other various narcotics. They dispute the use of "demon alcohol," unless members feel it is right.
- I had the opportunity to meet with Miller during one of their services. It also happened to be his Birthday. They were holding a "puppet slam." The members claimed that it was a "safe place for puppets." All puppets seemed to be addicted to drugs or alcohol.
- Miller enjoyed his birthday. According to him the event wasn't planned specifically for his birthday it just happened to coincide. He felt the event went very well, and he "wouldn't change nothing." Miller just asked for a blessing from the Reverend.
- Miller confessed his concerns about the lack of coverage by the independent newspaper, The Alligator. According to him and other members they refuse to cover anything involving the Tabernacle of Hedonism. He asked if I would submit my work for possible publishing.Miller and fellow congregation members believe the church is for those who want to express themselves, free of judgment and law. They believe in doing which is right. The location of their dumpster goodness is hidden to protect it from protesters and members of The Alligator. Their weekly events are filled with entertainment and "words of wisdom." The crowd continues to grow as Miller expands his fan-base as well as the word of the church.
- Whether you believe in Jamba, The Dumpster Goddess, or not you will be missing out if you do not experience a service held by Tom Miller. The beliefs may differ, but the in-depth look you receive from Miller and the ministers is an experience that most people should witness in their lifetime.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.