Creating Your Video Essay
This year we decided to do a video essay as the application procedure for Muscat Scholar Students. This decision was largely because we wanted to really get to know our students before they arrived, and I felt that many students would welcome this opportunity try something new.
- These articles seems like a good place to start.
- The reality is that paper or online applications with essays are important, but to us, they were flat. They didn't give us the opportunity to meet students to see learn more about them in a way that video could. We started to have conversations about what makes a good video. There are plenty examples online. Check these out:
- One of the things that we noticed was that schools have different requirements for the video essay. Time, content, and style were different for most schools. For "This is Zephyr" what we liked was the story. Not just about Zephyr, but what the author wanted us to know about the hard work, commitment, and energy required to have a show dog - these are all things that we would value in a student - because that's what it takes to succeed in all things.
- Super creative, right? Chapman University's Dodge College asks that students submit a video for acceptance for the Film Production school. We don't necessarily need a movie, per se, but this was a nice way to tell a story!
- Not going to lie, but this is my favorite one next to This is Zephyr. The story speaks for itself, and it's compelling, you know? Could you convey this on a paper application? Maybe. But in two minutes, I'm sold.
- As a shoe person, this particularly grabbed me. It was creative, different, and fun to watch. Now keep in mind that your video does NOT need to be edited like these ones were. It can be a long shot, it can be a slide show (stills, photographs, text, phrases) or even live action. Or all of the above.All that we ask is that you tell us Your Story. That's right, it's in capitals. Because no one can tell Your Story like you can, and that's what we want to know. Good luck, and let me know if you have questions.Charlene
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 1 already did!