Hurricane Sandy: Is Climate Change to Blame?
Some of the nation's most outspoken scientists on human-caused climate change were active on twitter explaining how global warming influenced hurricane Sandy. Well-known skeptics were tweeting as well, some denying the hurricane-climate link.
- Katharine Hayhoe, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Texas Tech University, identified three ways that warming made Sandy worse.
- Peter Gleick, water expert and co-founder of the Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security in Oakland, Calif., clarified scientists' position and highlighted key scientific literature on the issue.
- Michael Mann, the Penn State University climate scientist whose work shows that Earth's temperatures have risen along with greater use of fossil fuels, beat back claims that Atlantic warming is driven solely by natural causes.
- Joe Bastardi, a senior meteorologist at AccuWeather and a well-known climate skeptic, seemed awe-struck by the superstorm, and even by the causes of it.
- Brian Bledsoe, the chief meteorologist for KKTV 11 News in Colorado and another skeptic of human-driven climate change, made his beliefs clear in an exchange with Brian Merchant, an editor at Treehugger.
- Roger Pielke Jr., a climate expert and professor of environmental studies at the University of Colorado who is also critical of the climate consensus, said hurricane Sandy may not be totally unprecedented.
- Jonathan Overpeck, a professor of geosciences and atmospheric sciences at the University of Arizona and a climate scientist for 30 years, tweeted a series of messages warning of even worse storms to come if warming continues unabated.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 4 already did!
- peculiarblendThis is disturbing but in other words Mother Nature's way of communicating to humans about the global warming. http://peculiarblend.wordpress.com/2012-11-01T03:58:44.007Z
- peculiarblendThis is disturbing but in other words Mother Nature's way of communicating to humans about the global warming. http://peculiarblend.wordpress.com/2012-11-01T03:58:43.803Z