Overly honest methods in science
Funny (and sometimes scary) justification for choice and application of methods, posted on Twitter. Emphasis is on experiments and biology, but some tweets extend beyond that. Collection is not complete because it is a long.running and extended discussion, but I try to keep pace.
- — Overly Honest Method (@OverlyHonestly)Wed, Feb 06 2013 10:36:34The effects of TOR pathway disruption in C. elegans were not explored further bc that shit's lethal & I don't wanna #OverlyHonestMethods
- — Paul Barnett (@manyfacesofPTB)Wed, Feb 06 2013 08:40:19Apparently a full microfuge tube rocking on a cold-room rocker is universal for "shut it off, it's not important" #overlyhonestmethods
- — Dylan Burdette (@dylanorion)Wed, Feb 06 2013 06:42:53There was a 20 hour incubation between centrifugations because the centrifuge broke down during the night #overlyhonestmethods
- — Overly Honest Method (@OverlyHonestly)Wed, Feb 06 2013 06:30:33We don't know how this method was performed because the PhD student's lab book is written in Chinese. #OverlyHonestMethods
- — Cate Williams (@CateLW21)Wed, Feb 06 2013 05:17:15Western blots are not included because the machine short circuited and burnt itself and all of my membranes #overlyhonestmethods
- — Ariel Furman (@ArielFabulous)Tue, Feb 05 2013 14:09:48ran reaction in toluene instead of benzene because the bottle of benzene looked older than my advisor #overlyhonestmethods
- — Yash Gad (@DrYashGad)Tue, Feb 05 2013 12:23:02I used these statistical measures because I didn't know how to change the default settings in my data analysis software #overlyhonestmethods
- — Overly Honest Method (@OverlyHonestly)Tue, Feb 05 2013 07:23:13Butterflies are important indicators of climate change impacts, but mostly they're just pretty #OverlyHonestMethods
- — Laura Keller (@MissFlyBai)Tue, Feb 05 2013 06:09:20Prepared slides were used when the slides looked wrong b/c the TA forgot to peel the plastic film off the cover slips. #overlyhonestmethods
- — Kim D (@ornithologypsy)Tue, Feb 05 2013 00:19:25We used the old version of the analysis software because newest version was so buggy it wouldn't run without crashing. #overlyhonestmethods
- — Overly Honest Method (@OverlyHonestly)Mon, Feb 04 2013 18:53:38The reaction was complete when the compound changed to green & the crazy Russian postdoc said it tasted 'OK' #OverlyHonestMethods
- — Overly Honest Method (@OverlyHonestly)Mon, Feb 04 2013 11:05:00We only surveyed students because we could stand in the classroom and glower at them until they completed it. #OverlyHonestMethods
- — overlyhonestmethods (@overlyhnstmthds)Mon, Feb 04 2013 10:45:25my PI wasnt happy with the results of our lab over the last 3 weeks so he scheduled a lab meeting for Saturday, 10PM. #overlyhonestmethods
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 7 already did!