Leveson report: Twitter reacts
Hacking victims, laywers, politicians and journalists give their early reaction to the published Leveson report
- One of the victims of phone hacking, Chris Bryant PM, was quick to post his thoughts:
- — Chris Bryant (@ChrisBryantMP)Thu, Nov 29 2012 05:44:51#leveson is impressive. The law needs to change. Self-interest regulation isn't regulation at all. Genuinely independent regulation vital.
- As did Mark Oaten:
- John Prescott added:
- — John Prescott (@johnprescott)Thu, Nov 29 2012 06:38:36
- While Charlotte Church was unimpressed by what she perceived to be
- Another victim, lawyer Graham Shear, was left exasperated by the Prime Minister's response:
- — graham shear (@grahamshear)Thu, Nov 29 2012 07:26:25I don't understand how the PM agrees with Leverson, but won't act on it. What's the point with Inquiry if no effective implementation.
- Others' thoughts were with the victims:
- — Paul Mason (@paulmasonnews)Thu, Nov 29 2012 06:09:26Leveson day semiology: men in ties w plummy voices defending "freedom of press"; victims and relatives rarely given same status of voice
- — Jim Murphy (@jimmurphymp)Thu, Nov 29 2012 06:09:02
- And here's a round-up of first impressions from figures in the media:
- — Jack of Kent (@DavidAllenGreen)Thu, Nov 29 2012 05:38:24Initial view on #Leveson; sensible balanced approach on what can be achieved with regulation, independent from both state and industry.
- — Gaby Hinsliff (@gabyhinsliff)Thu, Nov 29 2012 06:02:53Prediction: within minutes of Leveson saying off the record briefings shd end, hacks & MPs will be having OTR chats about how that'd work
- — Krishnan Guru-Murthy (@krishgm)Thu, Nov 29 2012 06:21:52"independent" "self-regulation" "underpinned by law" "overseen by OFCOM" - a lot to work out to avoid one contradicting the other #leveson
- There was concern over what the report would mean for off-the-record briefings:
- And the issue of blogging and new media was noted by many:
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 2 already did!