Tornadoes in southeast Michigan: videos, photos, reports from on the ground
A string of severe thunderstorms that produced multiple funnel clouds and confirmed tornadoes rumbled through southeast lower Michigan Thursday evening.
- Word of the storms began spreading soon after the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm watch for most of the metro Detroit area.
- Within an hour, the first funnel clouds were reported and a tornado warning was issued for parts of Washtenaw and Livingston counties.
- Weather watchers around the nation tracked the storm.
- Matthew Altruda of Ann Arbor was in Hudson Mills Metropark near Dexter when the storm hit. He took this incredible footage of the tornado. Warning: this video contains graphic language.
- Other people shared photos of the tornado, too.
- And quickly, photos spread of the damage, including several homes being completely leveled.
- — Rick Reichmuth (@rickreichmuth)Thu, Mar 15 2012 16:27:07Search and rescue under way in Dexter, MI after tornado destroys mulitple homes. That storm now south of Detroit.
- People immediately took to Twitter to discuss the storm.
- — Travis Clark (@theterrifictc)Thu, Mar 15 2012 16:28:34Seems as though the campus was spared. Several tornado touchdowns reported in the Ann Arbor area. Hopefully everyone is okay.
- — Rich Pirrotta (@richpirrotta)Thu, Mar 15 2012 16:29:32Brother in law and family safe although tornado hit their sub near Ulrich street Dexter MI Praise God for hand of protection!
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 3 already did!