Post-Dispatch lays off 6 newsroom employees
Four copy editors, one photographer and an editor were laid off Tuesday.
- Four copy editors, one photographer and an assistant metro editor were laid off today from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in St. Louis.
- One of the copy editors was a part-time employee; all others were full-time employees.Newsroom employees can volunteer to take the place of a laid off employee, according to an internal memo from Post-Dispatch managers. Employees have until June 5 to do so.Post-Dispatch editor Arnie Robbins retired on Friday. Editorial page editor Gilbert Bailon has taken over.
- In March, Lee Enterprises Chief Executive Officer Mary Junck was awarded a $500,000 bonus for refinancing the bankrupt newspaper chain's debt. The Post-Dispatch is owned by Lee.
- The Post-Dispatch laid off a marketing and an information technology employee in February, and 37 employees in 2011.
- Editor's note: I am a former Post-Dispatch employee; I resigned in April 2012.