Statement of ex-President Compaoré, 31 Oct 2014
Statement issued on Twitter by ex-President Blaise Compaoré on Twitter, 31 Oct 2014
- PRESIDENT COMPAORÉ'S CALL FOR PEACE AND UNITY IN BURKINA FASO.
- BURKINABE PEOPLE, DAUGHTERS AND SONS OF BURKINA FASO, FRIENDS OF BURKINA FASO
- I've agreed to offer my resignation as President of Burkina Faso. I've decided to leave office, faced with the tragedy my country was heading for.
- I refused to see the blood of my compatriots flow, the blood of the daughters and sons of Burkina Faso.
- I've left office even though I'm the democratically-elected President, legal and legitimate, according to the rule of Burkina Faso's constitutional law,
- to protect the gains of our democratic evolution and our socio-economic progress.
- I've left office because the greater good of Burkina Faso comes before everything else, including my own self.
- For the stability of the West African region, for Africa, for international peace, I've constantly tried
- To give the very best of myself. At this grave moment, for the future of our country, I'd like to bow down to the memory
- Of all the deaths occasioned by this sordid crisis.
- I'd like to thank the militants of the CDP, my collaborators, all the Burkinabe people, very many of them who have continued, even in this time of hardship,
- To have confidence in me and who, above all, have known how to demonstrate their self-control.