Free Grumpy Cat!
The feline at the heart of the Grumpy Cat meme has been brought by Mashable to South by Southwest, where attendees are lining up to take pictures with it. Cats hate strangers, strange places and chaos in general. This amounts to animal abuse. There's now a hashtag: #FreeGrumpyCat.
- People, this is NOT COOL.
- — dwight silverman (@dsilverman)Sat, Mar 09 2013 10:39:02Oh good, there's a #freegrumpycat hashtag. Really, someone should call the Austin SPCA and get that poor animal out of there.
- The owners and the Austin Humane Society insist Grumpy Cat is doing fine with all the attention.
- — Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern)Sat, Mar 09 2013 13:47:57
- Here's Joanna's story in which the #freegrumpycat reaction is addressed.
- — AustinHumaneSociety (@austinhumane)Sat, Mar 09 2013 13:05:19
- On Sunday, BuzzFeed's tech site reported that the Austin chapter of PETA had looked into Grumpy Cat's treatment and had no problem with the situation.
- — BuzzFeed FWD (@fwd)Sun, Mar 10 2013 09:11:01PETA: Don't cry for Grumpy Cat http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/peta-dont-cry-for-grumpy-cat-at-sxsw …m/jwhMikeIsaacta-dont-cry-for-grumpy-cat-at-sxsw cc @MikeIsaac
- The author of the piece thinks Tardar Sauce is safe.
- — John Herrman (@jwherrman)Sun, Mar 10 2013 09:14:41grumpy cat is safe (but this is still HUMILIATING i think) http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/peta-dont-cry-for-grumpy-cat-at-sxsw …m/jwherrman/peta-dont-cry-for-grumpy-cat-at-sxsw
- But on Saturday, many on Twitter were up in arms.
- — Kat Drucker (@kitkat5656)Fri, Mar 08 2013 19:42:34Someone with millions of followers needs to start this hashtag (not me) #LeaveGrumpyCatAlone This is borderline animal abuse now.
- — Jessica Chapel (@jnchapel)Sat, Mar 09 2013 11:52:47
- — Adrienne Byard (@adriennebyard)Sat, Mar 09 2013 11:42:17
- — Chip Rosenthal (@chipr)Sat, Mar 09 2013 12:23:56.@mashable violating Austin code ﾧ3-2-3(C) prohibiting display of animals for commercial purposes. http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title3animalregulation/chapter3-2restrictionsonanimals?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=JD_3-2-3 …/nFreeGrumpyCatl/Texas/austin/title3animalregulation/chapter3-2restrictionsonanimals?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=JD_3-2-3 #FreeGrumpyCat
- — Teresa Truda (@teresatruda)Sat, Mar 09 2013 12:28:15People of SX, realise this is exactly what Mashable wanted - people talking. It is unfair though, please do #freegrumpycat
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.