Prof Leaves MOOC Mid-Stream
UC-Irvine professor Richard McKenzie walked out on his "Microeconomics for Managers" MOOC mid-stream. Catherine Prendergast (@cjprender on Twitter and a professor at UIUC) was a student in that course. She tweeted about the event.
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 05:13:57As someone who was registered for the MOOC the professor quit mid-term, It's hilarious to me he thinks of himself as a standard bearer.
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 05:20:09Anyway, great to have this story, and looking forward to more. But disgusted comments buy his "standard-bearer" pose: http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/professor-leaves-a-mooc-in-mid-course-in-dispute-over-teaching/42381 …/blogs/wiredcampus/professor-leaves-a-mooc-in-mid-course-in-dispute-over-teaching/42381
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 05:57:06@SteveTally Hard to generalize perspective on 34,000, but from mine, he had no pedagogy, no sense of audience. Defensive. Ranty. Brutish.
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 06:03:24@ibogost This was a rational economist trying to shout down knowledgable behavioral economists. It wasn't about workload. That's bullshit.
- Back to tweets from @cjprender that aren't replies to others:
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 06:16:04"When these students provide posts, they can, and do, undercut the learning experience of all others, and defeat the purpose of…" 2/3
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 06:16:43"discussion forums. If you have substantial economics training, I ask that you to hold your posts" 3/3 Quitting MOOC prof to class.
- — Writing Life (@cjprender)Mon, Feb 18 2013 06:20:43MOOC prof: "I never in my worst nightmares thought I would be teaching a course in which only a tiny fraction of students would…"1/2
- And now a few tweet-and-reply pairs. First, from @JennLStewart:
- — Jenn Stewart (@JennLStewart)Mon, Feb 18 2013 06:24:01@cjprender Righteous rage, though. Sounds like a nightmare...what kind of intellectual vacuum makes someone ONLY assign *his own* $87 text!?
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 5 already did!
- Sean CartonWahhhh! Wahhhh! We weren't able to claim we got an "education" because we were't willing to do the work.2013-02-23T06:34:30.247Z