#Inauguration: Reaction to gay rights mention by president
President Barack Obama said in his speech "our journey is not complete" until gays have full rights. Also, gays were mentioned in the benediction. It is the first time that gay rights has been referred to in an inaugural speech by a U.S. President.
- — Siphosethu Stuurman (@Sipho_Stuurman)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:37:20
- — Out Front Colorado (@OutFrontCO)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:37:31President Obama mentioned Stonewall and #LGBT rights in second inaugural address, followed by an original poem from gay poet Richard Blanco
- There were supporters.
- — LaValle Marie (@lavallemarieee)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:26:26A GAY MAN IS A POET AT THE INAUGURATION?! IM CRYING I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE. HISPANICS, BLACKS, WOMEN, AND GAYS PROSPERING. beautiful.
- — Faith Sherman (@faithems)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:37:30
- — Chuck Comeau (@chuckcomeau)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:18:16Obama: "Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated as equals under the law." Yes! civil rights for all!
- — Carol Cain (@CarolACain)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:08:18Today must be the hardest day for racists and homophobes. A black president, on MLK day talking about gays and immigrants. #inauguration
- — Kat (@KizzMcDutchie)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:27:50Loving all of the recognizing of Gays during this inauguration. Its about time! The mentality of this country needs to be modernized.
- — Matthew Moore (@GoatmealCrisp)Mon, Jan 21 2013 09:38:34I'm not watching FOX News' coverage of the inauguration, but I can only assume right now someone is saying "I bet Hitler liked gays too!"
- Others reacted negatively, or at least got a little snarky.
Did you find this story interesting? Be the first to like or comment.