What are parents afraid of?
I asked my Twitter followers what they're afraid of wt their kids' use of social media. This is what they said. (Note: this is a biased crowd.)
- — Peter Rawsthorne (@prawsthorne)Fri, Aug 24 2012 16:13:58@zephoria that they won't go outside enough, they will not learn about how to cope in the natural world as well as they should...
- That Their Parents Will Become Real (Flawed) People
- Who or What Influences Their Children
- — robbiemelvin (@robbiemelvin)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:25:58@zephoria the immense dilution of influence. When my kids access social media I have very little ability to vet their contacts.
- Privacy, Visibility, and Loss of Control
- — urban_mermaid/Carla (@u_m)Fri, Aug 24 2012 16:21:48@zephoria That they won't think critically about what they reveal about themselves + "permanent" nature of it. Some adults don't well either
- — Char James-Tanny (@CharJTF)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:34:59@zephoria That he'll share too much personal info without realizing it. (He's 15, we've talked about it/privacy settings since he was 11.)
- — Brent Baxter (@brentbaxter)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:24:50@zephoria that they don’t appreciate how public social media are and that what they say and do can cause real damage now and in the future
- — Patrick Kaine ® (@PatrickKaine)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:21:02@zephoria inappropriate pictures getting out of them... trying to teach all pics are permanent and can be public
- — David (@lordfolland)Fri, Aug 24 2012 18:50:37@zephoria I fear that my daughter may ruin her digital reputation while she is still learning how to use social media. I hope to help her.
- — Mark Vanderbeeken (@vanderbeeken)Fri, Aug 24 2012 21:28:11Answer to @zephoria: That they will find it normal and inevitable to live in a Big Brother controlled world.
- Online Safety-related Issues:
- — Andrea Hnatiuk (@ahnatiuk)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:20:39@zephoria Bullying, misunderstanding of digital footprint , I always fear something therefore always checking facebook and twitter
- — Regina Collins (@regcollins)Fri, Aug 24 2012 17:02:27@zephoria stalking, divulging personal information, and being victims of cyber bullying. Friend's daughter ran away to meet Internet friend
- — will mockridge (@cazlab)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:22:08@zephoria cyberbullying while sexting. cyberbullying needs constant focus and one sext can give your target to moment they need to get bored
- — Deirdré Straughan (@DeirdreS)Fri, Aug 24 2012 15:19:50@zephoria (when my daughter was a teen) that she might bully others. Not that she's a mean person, but I saw one incident get out of hand.
Did you find this story interesting? like or comment as 3 already did!
- Carissa Condor GrihalvaThat overuse of internet social networking will inhibit her from learning to interact with others in the real world.2012-08-29T01:57:44.372Z